The Midnight Book Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Midnight Book Club

An On-line Book Club

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Next Month's Book Suggestions

Go down 
4 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
tjy49
Midnighter
Midnighter
tjy49

Next Month's Book Suggestions - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Next Month's Book Suggestions   Next Month's Book Suggestions - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 01, 2009 1:18 am

Yeah, that's the graphic novel I was talking about. The place I found in Little Rock is called Summit House apartments if anyone wants to look it up. But I've already put a payment on it and will look at it on June 18th. Not the best plan, but at least I have a place to live.
Back to top Go down
Kate
Admin
Kate

PostSubject: Re: Next Month's Book Suggestions   Next Month's Book Suggestions - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 02, 2009 12:06 am

Did you get the Loft floor plan?
Back to top Go down
http://www.midnightbookgirl.com/
tjy49
Midnighter
Midnighter
tjy49

PostSubject: Re: Next Month's Book Suggestions   Next Month's Book Suggestions - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 02, 2009 1:28 am

If loft is the cheapest/code for efficiency, then yes. I don't remember what they call it. I have room 207 if you want to mail me anything Smile Should I see if I can get a job at a Dillards in Virginia? Razz
Back to top Go down
Kate
Admin
Kate

PostSubject: Re: Next Month's Book Suggestions   Next Month's Book Suggestions - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 02, 2009 12:19 pm

Yes, please!!!!! I miss my friends!!!!!!! There are two stores in Richmond, one in the Short Pump area which despite it's unusual name is actually a pretty cool area. And Virginia has 4 (!) distinct seasons!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
bittner29
Admin
bittner29

PostSubject: Re: Next Month's Book Suggestions   Next Month's Book Suggestions - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 22, 2009 2:15 pm

has anyone read the Dorothy Dunnett books? She has a series called the House of Niccolo. Now you all know how I feel about series but my friend Tara and I were talking about these books and she really loves them. They are historical fiction and they do sound really good. The same author has another seires called the Lymond Chronicles and those are the ones that Tara just loved.
So if neither of you have ready these books. I would really like to do one. Since I do hate becomming attachted to series I'm not saying we have to committ to the series I would just like to read one at some point.

This is the review for the first book of the Lymond Chronicles:

Praised for her historical fiction by critics and devoted fans alike, author Dorothy Dunnett's Lymond Chronicles took the romance world by storm some 30 years ago, firmly fixing Dunnett's reputation as a master of the historical romance. The Game of Kings, the first story in The Lymond Chronicles, sets the stage for what will be a sweeping saga filled with passion, courage, and the endless fight for freedom. The setting is 1547, in Edinborough, Scotland. Francis Crawford of Lymond returns to the country despite the charge of treason hanging over his head. Set on redeeming his reputation, He leads a company of outlaws against England as he fights for the country he loves so dearly. Dangerous, quick-witted, and utterly irresistible, Lymond is pure pleasure to watch as he traverses 16th-century Scotland in search of freedom. The Game of Kings is a must-have for the historical romance connoisseur.

This is the review for the first book of the House of Niccolo:

Dunnett has chosen the 15th-century Low Countries as the setting for her new historical series. The four-page list of characters announces the panoply of individuals, many based on historical persons. The fictional Claus, later Niccolo, is an apprentice at the Bruges branch of the Charetty company, run by the widowed owner. Claus is an engima, seemingly a buffoon getting into scrapes with Felix, the Charetty heir, but also capable of initiating a courier service in connection with the Charetty commercial and mercenary ventures. In an era of economic and political intrigue, Claus makes the most of all opportunitiesromantic and business. The action is swift; major and peripheral characters are well developed; and settings and events are interestingly depicted. The unresolved plots leave the door open for a sequel. Ellen Kaye Stoppel, Drake Univ. Law Lib., Des Moines

Just let me know what you guys think.
Back to top Go down
http://abductedbybooks.blogspot.com
tjy49
Midnighter
Midnighter
tjy49

PostSubject: Re: Next Month's Book Suggestions   Next Month's Book Suggestions - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 23, 2009 12:36 am

that's fine. i'm still about a month behind though. i'm still on outlander, jaime and claire have just gotten married and are about to meet a beggar, i think.
Back to top Go down
Kate
Admin
Kate

PostSubject: Re: Next Month's Book Suggestions   Next Month's Book Suggestions - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 23, 2009 4:13 pm

I'm fine with trying one of those books, whichever you want, although I kind of had my fill of historical romance with Outlander. I wouldn't mind taking a little break before the next HR. However, you are due for a book pick and I'm always game to at least try a book. geek
Back to top Go down
tjy49
Midnighter
Midnighter
tjy49

PostSubject: Re: Next Month's Book Suggestions   Next Month's Book Suggestions - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 29, 2009 12:48 am

Ever heard of a book called infinite jest? i read about it today in entertainment weekly. it's apparently 1000 pages, so it might be hard to read in a month, but is being marketed as something to read throughout the summer. Sounds kinda interesting, but I don't know if it will be good. Still working on Outlander, haven't started Lux, and am going to listen to Dead and Gone by Charlaine Harris on my way to Little Rock on Thursday.

Or what about The Strain by Guillermo Del Toro? I think it's about zombies, if I remember right.
Back to top Go down
tjy49
Midnighter
Midnighter
tjy49

PostSubject: Re: Next Month's Book Suggestions   Next Month's Book Suggestions - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 05, 2009 10:40 pm

Here's a list that newsweek put out of must reads. Hopefully the link will still be up whenever you look at it, if you want.

http://www.newsweek.com/id/204300?gt1=43002
Back to top Go down
Kate
Admin
Kate

PostSubject: Re: Next Month's Book Suggestions   Next Month's Book Suggestions - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 07, 2009 1:08 am

Okay, since we originally set out to read a thriller (Hello! I'm going to be at the beach for 3 weeks!) for the month of June I have been googling thrillers all night.

Shutter Island popped up on several lists. The book is by Denis Lehane, who also wrote Mystic River. Shutter Island it going to be a soon to be released movie. I saw the preview but didn't get much out of it. However according to Amazon the book is supposed to be pretty amazingly well written. Plus the ending is supposed to be a huge shocker (but not in the cheap crappy way, but more in the wow that makes sense kind of way)
http://www.amazon.com/Shutter-Island-Dennis-Lehane/dp/038073186X/ref=ntt_at_ep_dpt_1

The Surgeon also looks good, and I honestly can't remember the last time I read a medical drama...
http://www.amazon.com/Surgeon-Novel-Tess-Gerritsen/dp/0345517822/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1246939132&sr=1-1

Back to top Go down
tjy49
Midnighter
Midnighter
tjy49

PostSubject: Re: Next Month's Book Suggestions   Next Month's Book Suggestions - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 09, 2009 5:08 pm

Courtney wants me to pick for August, so I choose Still Life with a Woodpecker, by Tom Robbins. Let me know if there are any objections!!
Back to top Go down
bittner29
Admin
bittner29

PostSubject: Re: Next Month's Book Suggestions   Next Month's Book Suggestions - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 11, 2009 5:15 pm

As far as I can tell I only have one immediate objection to this selection. Which I am willing to put aside for the sake of giving the book a chance.
I don't really understand what the book is supposed to be, whether it is an actually novel or memoir or something in and of itself.
What I am posting below seems to be the only review on the book I can find.
"Still Life with Woodpecker is sort of a love story that takes place inside a pack of Camel cigarettes. It reveals the purpose of the moon, explains the difference between criminals and outlaws, examines the conflict between social activism and romantic individualism, and paints a portrait of contemporary society that includes powerful Arabs, exiled royalty, and pregnant cheerleaders. IT ALSO DEALS WITH THE PROBLEM OF REDHEADS."
Now I added my own emphasis to that last statement because there in lies my one and only initial objection to the book. Who says there is anything wrong with RED HEADS???" Mad
But other than that, I'm up for reading it.
Back to top Go down
tjy49
Midnighter
Midnighter
tjy49

PostSubject: Re: Next Month's Book Suggestions   Next Month's Book Suggestions - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 11, 2009 9:54 pm

I didn't even read reviews, I picked it out based on on a list of books with The Best Opening Lines, and it was the most interesting without being a series. And I like redheads too, Jessica on True Blood is almost my favorite character. I do have a close to Who's-Sirius-Black? crush on Eric/Alexander Skarsgard. The things I would be willing to do for that man!!! I need to get to Sweden, or at least LA, or wherever they film. This can be achieved by taking out the contemporary buyer, who is at the LA market now. However, I like her as a person, so I'll need a vampire to do the job for me. Smile
Back to top Go down
Kate
Admin
Kate

PostSubject: Re: Next Month's Book Suggestions   Next Month's Book Suggestions - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 13, 2009 12:24 am

I am soooooooooo aboard the vampire Eric train. I <3 him.

Bittner, nothing is wrong with redheads except for the fact that many people are ignorant to their true awesomeness. In Britain being a "ginger" is usually considered a bad thing. But we know that awesome gingers from England (like Simon Pegg and Prince Harry) are helping to break this unfortunate stereo type.
Back to top Go down
Kate
Admin
Kate

PostSubject: Re: Next Month's Book Suggestions   Next Month's Book Suggestions - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 19, 2009 11:42 am

Here's a book I've added to my BookSwim rental pool just because I've seen the love soooooooo many people on the book blogging sites seem to have for it:

Quote :
The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time
By Mark Haddon
Overview & Description

Mark Haddon's bitterly funny debut novel, The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time, is a murder mystery of sorts--one told by an autistic version of Adrian Mole. Fifteen-year-old Christopher John Francis Boone is mathematically gifted and socially hopeless, raised in a working-class home by parents who can barely cope with their child's quirks. He takes everything that he sees (or is told) at face value, and is unable to sort out the strange behavior of his elders and peers.

Late one night, Christopher comes across his neighbor's poodle, Wellington, impaled on a garden fork. Wellington's owner finds him cradling her dead dog in his arms, and has him arrested. After spending a night in jail, Christopher resolves--against the objection of his father and neighbors--to discover just who has murdered Wellington. He is encouraged by Siobhan, a social worker at his school, to write a book about his investigations, and the result--quirkily illustrated, with each chapter given its own prime number--is The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time.

Haddon's novel is a startling performance. This is the sort of book that could turn condescending, or exploitative, or overly sentimental, or grossly tasteless very easily, but Haddon navigates those dangers with a sureness of touch that is extremely rare among first-time novelists. The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time is original, clever, and genuinely moving: this one is a must-read. --Jack Illingworth, Amazon.ca
Back to top Go down
tjy49
Midnighter
Midnighter
tjy49

PostSubject: Re: Next Month's Book Suggestions   Next Month's Book Suggestions - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 19, 2009 2:47 pm

You do know about libraries, right? Wink Sometimes they don't have the books you need though. And if you pretend to be disabled, they'll send them to you. I'm not sure how it works, but I saw the Norman library would do it. I don't know about blogging, it'll be about how it's just me and my fish, 2 against the world. And you know how useful a fish is. I'll check it out though.
Back to top Go down
bittner29
Admin
bittner29

PostSubject: Re: Next Month's Book Suggestions   Next Month's Book Suggestions - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 19, 2009 3:34 pm

That book about the dog sounds interesting. I would read it.

Speaking (or writing) about book rentals, I saw a few weeks ago that in Sooner mall over by where stein mart used to be, there is a book vending machine. Well kindof. Yeah that may not be the best way to describe it but that is as close as I could get. But basically you get on line or something and tell Norman Public Library that you want a certain book. Then they bring it to that machine in the mall and put it in a specific locker type cubbie and email you or something. Then you go to the mall to pick it up. But then when you are done reading it you have to return it at the library. The whole thing sounded like just a lot of wasted trouble if you ask me. I mean it is not like the library and the mall are that far away from eachother. If you can make it to the mall why can't you go ten more minutes to the actual library. Especially if you have to make it to the library to return the book in the end anyway?

mandy has inspired me to find a new pic for my sign on. I'll spend some time searching out an image and then I'll see if I can remember how to change it. scratch
Back to top Go down
bittner29
Admin
bittner29

PostSubject: Re: Next Month's Book Suggestions   Next Month's Book Suggestions - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 19, 2009 3:42 pm

Ok, so I know that a picture of the U2 360 stage doesn't quiet excite some people the way that Skarsgard does, but I am really excited that we are finally only 29 days away from the U2 concert in Norman OK. So I went with that for now and will change it again after October 18th!!!
I am so excited I could die!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh, I know maybe I can make myself one of those signature things like kate has. Hmm...let me try!
Back to top Go down
bittner29
Admin
bittner29

PostSubject: Re: Next Month's Book Suggestions   Next Month's Book Suggestions - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 19, 2009 4:11 pm

scratch
Back to top Go down
bittner29
Admin
bittner29

PostSubject: Re: Next Month's Book Suggestions   Next Month's Book Suggestions - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 19, 2009 4:13 pm

Mad I can't figure it out!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
Kate
Admin
Kate

PostSubject: Re: Next Month's Book Suggestions   Next Month's Book Suggestions - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 19, 2009 6:31 pm

Oh, Mandy... I am quite familiar with libraries as I'm on most libraries most wanted list due to my insane inability to return books even remotely on time. Even when I have on line renewal, eventually you just can't renew anymore...

Plus, I do like that I can access Bookswim anytime of the day or night to peruse books, and I don't feel weird checking out teen books or the occasional dirty vampire romance.
Back to top Go down
tjy49
Midnighter
Midnighter
tjy49

PostSubject: Re: Next Month's Book Suggestions   Next Month's Book Suggestions - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 19, 2009 11:29 pm

that's true. i feel like such a fool looking in the teen section or even at graphic novels. i know how to turn books in, and try to use amazon and requesting books so only the check out person knows what i'm reading. isn't book 4 the best. yay sexy yet dependent in a good way Eric. i have the last book on audio tape, but was putting my apartment together for the last disk, so i have a vague idea how it ends. but i did make sure to rewind for the sex scenes. do you think it's awkward for audio book speakers to say that stuff?
Back to top Go down
bittner29
Admin
bittner29

PostSubject: Re: Next Month's Book Suggestions   Next Month's Book Suggestions - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 21, 2009 11:06 am

Oh, see I feel cool when I'm looking at graphic novels. I expect that when I'm browsing around Hastings or Borders and a guy sees me migrate over to graphic novels that they are instantly thinking "Man I bet that chick is way interesting!" Cool
But at the same time I don't reel that awkward looking in the teen section. I do walk straight past the Twilight section. Even if there is a part of my that wants to let my eyes wonder over to the posters or special edition releases of the series I never stop.

With all the books I have listened to on audio I don't recall coming across one where the narrator was talking dirty. There were a few scenes in Lonesome Dove but I don't remember them being all that graphic. I mean the book was written a few decades ago and the author often used phrases like "Hey how about a poke" or "she played with his carrot" so I don't recall being that uncomfortable with it.
Back to top Go down
Kate
Admin
Kate

PostSubject: Re: Next Month's Book Suggestions   Next Month's Book Suggestions - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 25, 2009 11:30 am

How could you not be uncomfortable with "she played with his carrot"?

I don't feel as bad anymore buying from the teen section, many thanks to JK Rowling and Smeyers, but I won't browse if there's actual teens/kids browsing in the section. And while I rarely read romance books anymore, there is one author I still follow just because I've read her books since I was 14, but I usually end up buying her new books at Walmart when I can go thru self check out. I avoid the romance book section of Barnes and Noble like the plague... I feel like there's a lot of stigma attached to romance book readers, which is why I stopped reading them in the first place. But you can actually learn a lot from a well researched historical romance novel.

study study study study study study study study study study study study
Back to top Go down
Kate
Admin
Kate

PostSubject: Re: Next Month's Book Suggestions   Next Month's Book Suggestions - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 27, 2009 10:51 am

Here's a link to a book that I'm gonna pick up today- Uncle Montague's Tales of Terror by Chris Preistley.

http://www.dreamstuffbooks.com/blog/2009/09/21/uncle-montagues-tales-of-terror-by-chris-priestley/

So, if it sounds good to ya'll then we could make it the second book for October? Idk.. going to Barnes and Noble today to take a look around.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Next Month's Book Suggestions   Next Month's Book Suggestions - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Next Month's Book Suggestions
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3