The Midnight Book Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Midnight Book Club

An On-line Book Club

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Everything You Wanted To Know But Were Afraid To Ask

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Kate
Admin
Kate

Everything You Wanted To Know But Were Afraid To Ask Empty
PostSubject: Everything You Wanted To Know But Were Afraid To Ask   Everything You Wanted To Know But Were Afraid To Ask Icon_minitimeFri Jun 13, 2008 6:08 pm

Wondering where we came up with the idea for this awesome sight? Well, there are several incidents that led to the creation of this lovely sight and here's the whole story:

1. In The Beginning

My name is Kate and I am big nerd. I was born to be a nerd. Both my parents were readers, and while me and my three brothers were involved in sports (mostly soccer), my parents were content to have us become nerdy little bookworms. Books were the one thing my over protective Irish father never censored. I was reading Stephen King in early grade school (someone left a copy of Fire Starter in the guest bathroom and I was easily hooked). While R rated films were only available to me via my evil babysitting brother, Patrick, my parents never once said no to a book I wanted to read. Perhaps they should have, as I was also reading Jackie Collins in middle school, and a host of other age inappropriate novels. But despite the lurid horror, sex, violence, and general mischief, the books I read went a long way in fulfilling my need to be a juvenile deliquent, thus curbing any criminal activities and/or promiscuity that I might have stumbled into. I was too busy reading to go drink in the woods with my less than literary high school friends. And we all know what teens drinking in the woods leads to.... I wasn't going to trade my reading time in for diaper duty. As I grew up I was always surprised by my friends who don't read much. The big excuse is, "I don't have time.", but there's always time for books, just like there's always room for ice cream. Anyways, many moons passed and I moved to Oklahoma where I met Ame, and through her, Courtney.

2. Courtney's Story.

To be filled in later by C herself. I imagine it as a harrowing journey through the foggy streets of Norman, stolen book clutched in her hands, as she rushes to her house, up to her attic, where she finds herself transported to another world where she alone must safe the princess and stop a magical land from disappearring... oh, wait, that's Never Ending Story... Well, I'm sure her story is just as exciting.

3. An Idea is Born

My friend Ame and I tried to start a book club a couple of years ago after reading somewhere the M. Night Shaylaman was going to make a movie out of the book Life of Pi. Which I guess he never did, but it was rumored. As it turns out, neither of us has ever finished the book, although I am about half way. It's not that it's a bad book, but we lost enthusiasm for club.

Then a few short months ago, Courtney watched the movie the Jane Austen Book Club, and then read the book. She later decided that she and I would start a book club, to which I said sure! That's as far as it went until one day she called me from a bookstore, asked me what I was reading (Fly By Night by Francis Hardinge) and informed me that would be our first official book. So our little book club began.

4. Our Little Club Gets a Name and a Website

So Courtney and I read the first book, met at Hastings to discuss it, and picked our second book (The Host by Stephenie Meyer) and pretty much prepared to wash, rinse and repeat. But by then me and my hubby, darling Aaron, had decided to move to another state. C feared greatly for our book club, since she and I were the only members. I quickly realized that a book club of one does not lead to exciting debate or discussion, so I came up with an idea for a website.

http://themidnightbookclub.net/

The above was my first attempt but I was unhappy with the results. I realized that it was not what I wanted it to be. The main reason being that I was spoiled with the ease of a website that I am already a member of, The Hogwarts Experience. It's an interactive Harry Potter site run by the amazing Elfie Dumbledore and Duck the Duck. They also have plenty of room on the site for any of you Twilight lovers, Dr Who fanatics, and Charmed devotees. HE also has a book club forum on its site, although the set up is a little different. Although the site is a Harry Potter one, there's tons of other challenges, events and games on there as well. It's the best site in the known universe!

http://hogwarts-experience.heavenforum.org/

So I decided to move the book club to heavenforum where I knew I would be happy with the layout. The chat box, message board, everything is right here. Not so with my bravenet site... which I actually paid for like an idiot. The fact that I know nothing about how to make a decent website is also a problem, but at least this type of forum I can handle. I just want to give proper credit to Elfie and Duck the Duck, and to once again say that the two of them have built a site that I consider a second home.

5. Your Story

So, what brought you here today? If your name is Ame, Michelle or Tiffany then there is a chance that I bribed, threatened, cajoled, beat, or blackmailed you here. If not, if you are wholly undamaged by myself of Courtney, then is it the love of books that summoned you? Are you perhaps locked in a tower with massive amounts of hair, lots of books, but not much else? Whatever it is, we want to hear it. If by chance this book club actually gets any members besides me and Courtney then I will have some kind of Introduction thread, but for now I think we're a small enough operation to have you reply right here. Welcome!
Back to top Go down
http://www.midnightbookgirl.com/
Kate
Admin
Kate

PostSubject: Threats Don't Work, But I Obviously Have A Price!   Everything You Wanted To Know But Were Afraid To Ask Icon_minitimeSat Jun 14, 2008 11:05 pm

Welcome, Ame to our staff! It turns out that I did not, in fact, have to threaten her with bodily harm to join our happy family. But she did make do her a favor, but I am use to such blackmail from my friends.

As I mentioned, Ame (Amers is her member name) and I had a failed book club. This one is already more successful as there are more than just two members. Yay, Us! Ame and Courtney (Bittner is her member name) have been friends for just shy of forever, and were kind enough to let me in their exclusive circle. XD

So that's just a little info on Amers, I'm sure she'll get around to posting someday. I am also shamelessly using her for her computer savvy. Thanks, Ame!!!
Back to top Go down
tjy49
Midnighter
Midnighter
tjy49

PostSubject: Re: Everything You Wanted To Know But Were Afraid To Ask   Everything You Wanted To Know But Were Afraid To Ask Icon_minitimeMon Jul 14, 2008 9:31 pm

Hi, I'm Amanda and I got introduced to this forum by Courtney. We work together at Dillard's and talk about books all the time. So now I'm looking to expand my reading options and glad to get to know all of you. And, I'm currently obsessed with the Twilight Saga, even though I've only read the first book so far. But I will have the other two read within the month, and am already excited for the fourth novel, and the movie coming out in December Very Happy And yes, I'm a big dork.
Back to top Go down
Kate
Admin
Kate

PostSubject: Re: Everything You Wanted To Know But Were Afraid To Ask   Everything You Wanted To Know But Were Afraid To Ask Icon_minitimeTue Jul 15, 2008 1:24 am

Welcome, Amanda, to the Domain of Dorks!! I think you'll soon feel right at home. XD
Back to top Go down
Cris
Cris

PostSubject: Re: Everything You Wanted To Know But Were Afraid To Ask   Everything You Wanted To Know But Were Afraid To Ask Icon_minitimeWed Jul 16, 2008 4:39 pm

Hello everyone who knows me (aka Rigby) and everyone who doesn't (aka everyone else xD)! *waves*

So... my story, eh? It's pretty simple - I'm 1/4 of a century old (also more commonly referred to as "20"), originally come from Romania, have been living in Poland for the past three years, have just graduated from high school and will start University in the UK in September. I can be pretty random and hyper at times. xD My hobbies include drawing/painting, riding the bike, ice-skating, reading, internet-stuff, photography aaaand - watch it, the good impression that might have been made by reading this list might be spoiled when you read the next word - procrastinating. A lot. XD

.... Anyhow. XD I happen to know Rigby from HE, where she advertised her site. Very Happy I've been kinda missing the book club on HE lately (it's been inactive Sad), so I thought I'd join this place! *g*

However, I'm finding it difficult to be active (read: "this is my first post since joining this site half an eternity ago ^^"), since I can't get all English books in the bookshop (and my Polish is too rough to read them all on Polish, although I must say, I did manage to finish my first book on Polish just a few weeks ago xD), I need to order some by internet, which can take a while - buuut the situation will change once I move to the UK Wink

And btw, I hope I'll be able to get Breaking Dawn soon-ish, but I doubt it will be earlier than September Sad
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Everything You Wanted To Know But Were Afraid To Ask   Everything You Wanted To Know But Were Afraid To Ask Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Everything You Wanted To Know But Were Afraid To Ask
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Midnight Book Club :: The Midnight Book Club-
Jump to: