The Midnight Book Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Midnight Book Club

An On-line Book Club

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Coffee Bar

Go down 
5 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Kate
Admin
Kate

Coffee Bar Empty
PostSubject: Coffee Bar   Coffee Bar Icon_minitimeMon Jun 16, 2008 12:24 am

Just a place for us to hang out and post messages to each other. I want to say hi to Ame and Michelle and welcome you to the Club! I'm sure you both have already taken the Oath, right? XD

I just got back from seeing The Incrediable Hulk and Edward Norton was his usual swoon worthy self, plus it had a cameo with Robert Downey, Jr. It was A LOT better than Ang Lee's The Hulk. Although I hope that when it comes out on DVD there's a special version of how Norton thought the film should be cut. I would be really interested in seeing that!

I still want to go see the Happening, even if the reviews are bad. Mic went and saw it and said the death scenes were cool, so at least there's that.

I am so morbid...
Back to top Go down
http://www.midnightbookgirl.com/
Mickey
BookWorm
BookWorm

Coffee Bar Empty
PostSubject: Re: Coffee Bar   Coffee Bar Icon_minitimeTue Jun 24, 2008 5:21 am

you said that like morbid is a bad thing...morbid good...Over the last few nights I have watched Final Destination 3, The Eye and Texas Chainsaw Massacre...now who's morbid?

Mic Smile
Back to top Go down
bittner29
Admin
bittner29

Coffee Bar Empty
PostSubject: Re: Coffee Bar   Coffee Bar Icon_minitimeFri Jun 27, 2008 12:26 am

Mickey wrote:
you said that like morbid is a bad thing...morbid good...Over the last few nights I have watched Final Destination 3, The Eye and Texas Chainsaw Massacre...now who's morbid?

Mic Smile

What is with you people!?! I think you are both morbid!!
Back to top Go down
http://abductedbybooks.blogspot.com
Kate
Admin
Kate

Coffee Bar Empty
PostSubject: Re: Coffee Bar   Coffee Bar Icon_minitimeSat Jun 28, 2008 4:45 am

Courtney, Courtney, Courtney. *shakes head*

Don't you know morbid is the new happy? XD
Back to top Go down
Mickey
BookWorm
BookWorm

Coffee Bar Empty
PostSubject: Re: Coffee Bar   Coffee Bar Icon_minitimeMon Jun 30, 2008 3:06 pm

I can't post on the book recommendation forum, some kind of restrictions to that area, but I want to suggest a book for the book club to read in an upcoming month. Actually, I am going to suggest an author and three novels and let our fearless leader and other members decide if there is any interest....this is my personal favorite author: Jodi Picoult. Now, I am a huge reader, but I have very little interest in general fiction, and am very particular about what I read. Usually, if I am going to read fiction, I like short books that can be read in one sitting of a few hours. Something that I don't have to think about too hard, just entertainment. Usually, I enjoy a light mystery or a good ghost/horror story. Jodi Picoult completely breaks all of my self imposed rules for fiction choices. She is an amazing author that often tackles some very sensitive social issues. What is awesome about her is that she presents all sides of the issue from each character's point of view. I am wanting to read every one of her books, but I will recommend three here: Keeping Faith, Picture Perfect, and Salem Falls. Some that I have already read and also highly recommend for your reading enjoyment are Second Glance, The Plain Truth, Nineteen Minutes, and Change of Heart. I hope you guys will be interested in checking her out if you haven't and choosing one of her books for our group to read. I am anxious to get going on another one of her books.

Mic Smile
Back to top Go down
bittner29
Admin
bittner29

Coffee Bar Empty
PostSubject: Re: Coffee Bar   Coffee Bar Icon_minitimeMon Jul 14, 2008 12:50 am

I deffinatly think we should pick one of her books for the August book.
I went to her website and read the brief synopsis on her books so here is what I think just based on that,
Nineteen Minutes and The Pact sound like they would be really depressing.
Vanishing Act, My Sister's Keeper, and Perfect Match seem like they might be really good stories but also kind of sad.
The Tenth Circle, Picture Perfect, Mercy, and Harvesting Heart I didn't really respond to.
As much as I would try really heard to keep an open mind, and I really would because I hope you guys know I'm not super uptight when it comes to religion, but Keeping Faith and Change of Heart I might be more cautious about reading.
Second Glance, Salem Falls, Plain Truth, and Songs of the Humpback Whale are the ones that I would for sure read with no hesitation, emphisis on Plain Truth and Songs of the Humpback Whale.
However I do want to stress that all I read was the synopsis on them given on the website, so a really good recommendation from you could get me to read any of hers books. study
Back to top Go down
Kate
Admin
Kate

Coffee Bar Empty
PostSubject: Re: Coffee Bar   Coffee Bar Icon_minitimeMon Jul 14, 2008 1:10 am

Well, I like the name Salem Falls, but as I've already picked two I'm okay with whatever you guys want to read. So Mic, if you are reading this, you pick it! Bittner and I discussed that we would read at least 2 books for August simply because we will devour Breaking Dawn in a day or two. And if it ends in a way that is not satisfactory to me then I don't know what kind of mood I will be in to discuss the book at lengths. XD

Pick a Picoult and we'll add it to our August reading list.
Back to top Go down
Mickey
BookWorm
BookWorm

Coffee Bar Empty
PostSubject: Re: Coffee Bar   Coffee Bar Icon_minitimeWed Jul 16, 2008 3:31 am

I posted this on my recommendations thread too, but I decided to put it here as well, since this is where I started the discussion. I would really love it if we read Salem Falls, if everyone is agreeable to that. I was reading some of the bookclub discussion questions provided on Jodi Picoult's site that go along with the book and it further piqued my interest. And Courtney, you should definitely read Plain Truth at some point. I saw it as a Lifetime movie first, fell in love with the story, then read the book and was floored. The book is sooooo amazingly well written. And yes, many of her books are sad in parts and at times difficult to read due to contraversial subject matter but let me tell you, it is worth every second you invest in her novels. I have never been so passionate about spreading the word about a fiction writer...not that she needs my help. Change of Heart debuted at Number 1 on the New York Times Bestseller List on the day it was released, and for good reason...fantastic book. And Ninteen Minutes...not a happy story by any stretch, but one that was very timely...right after that book was released, and just days after I started reading it, the Virginia Tech shooting happened...scary coincidance. But I read on her site that there are educators using the book for anti-bullying cirruculums. I don't know if you saw that when you went to check synopsises, but I thought that was really amazing. I am just such a huge fan of hers, I can't say enough good things about her books. I am really excited to share my favorite author and have some great discussions on her work.

Mic Smile
Back to top Go down
Cris
Cris

Coffee Bar Empty
PostSubject: Re: Coffee Bar   Coffee Bar Icon_minitimeWed Jul 16, 2008 4:57 pm

Heyhey, this is the newbie greeting you all! ^.^

I'll just jump into the talk and say that I've been to the bookshop today and looked Jodi Picoult's books, with the talk around here in mind (I checked this thread earlier xD) and - they look interesting! Very Happy And the plot of Salem Fall does indeed sound intriguing, I'm all for it! If we decide to read it soon, I could get it before I leave for holidays. Wink
Back to top Go down
Kate
Admin
Kate

Coffee Bar Empty
PostSubject: Re: Coffee Bar   Coffee Bar Icon_minitimeWed Jul 16, 2008 9:45 pm

Cris!!!!!!!!!!! YAY!!!!! Yes, we are reading Salem Falls for our second book of August since Breaking Dawn will be out on the 1st and read by the 3rd. XD So, if you get a chance to pick it up then I would go ahead and do so.
Back to top Go down
Kate
Admin
Kate

Coffee Bar Empty
PostSubject: Re: Coffee Bar   Coffee Bar Icon_minitimeFri Oct 10, 2008 6:00 pm

Just wanted to keep this general discussion going!!

So, my cell phone is fixed (finally!) People, please pm your phone numbers (in Michelle and Courtney's cases, your work numbers too- except for 1219, I remember that).

I thought all my numbers were saved on both my SIM and my phone, but I was sadly mistaken. Plus I get a new Virginia number soon ! I already know what it is, and I really, really like it! XD

Aaron is going to training in Dallas for his job, and we thought it was going to be next week, but nope, it's going to be the last week of October, so he'll be gone for Halloween! Sad So I'll probably head over to M and B's house and maybe go trick or treating with Z, or curl up and watch scary movies with B and held hand out candy. It still sucks that I don't get to spend one of my all time favorite holidays with my hubby, lets throw me a pity party!

Speaking of which- maybe that week we can all have a movie night via cell phone and computer? We can all pick out the same movie to watch (whether we rent it or if it's on tv) and watch it together? Take a deep breath, Bittner, for I'm thinking it will probably be horror themed, but we'll see. Maybe you can go to Mandy's house and crash on her couch? XD
Back to top Go down
bittner29
Admin
bittner29

Coffee Bar Empty
PostSubject: Re: Coffee Bar   Coffee Bar Icon_minitimeSat Oct 18, 2008 3:14 pm

I'll right I'm down. But it will need to be a night when the Red Sox aren't playing. But I actually am in the mood to watch a scary movie affraid . But I know I'll regret it later!
Back to top Go down
Kate
Admin
Kate

Coffee Bar Empty
PostSubject: Re: Coffee Bar   Coffee Bar Icon_minitimeSat Oct 18, 2008 4:03 pm

Just let me know which nights are available! Aaron leaves next Sunday and will be back on the first. So any of those nights except Halloween I should be good for, although I did let my work know that I would be available during that time to fill in for any overnight jobs.
Back to top Go down
bittner29
Admin
bittner29

Coffee Bar Empty
PostSubject: Re: Coffee Bar   Coffee Bar Icon_minitimeSat Oct 18, 2008 4:25 pm

After looking at the schedule for the World Series (GO SOX!!!), here are the nights that I should be free.
Monday (20th) Tuesday (21th) Friday (24th) Tuesday (28th) or Halloween.
Game 7 of the WS (GO SOX!!!) will be on the 30th so any night after that I will be free for sure. Also if the Red Sox go to the WS (GO SOX!!!) and win the first four games then I would be free to watch a movie after Sunday (26th). The WS (GO SOX!!!) is kind of complicated.
Also, Ame and I were just looking at list of scary movies and so far I think we were looking at The Hitcher or When a Stranger Calls.
Ame wants to watch one she hasn't seen and I want it to be one with humans. No aliens or mutants or boogymen. Plus Ame doesn't want one with evil kids/dogs.
Back to top Go down
Kate
Admin
Kate

Coffee Bar Empty
PostSubject: Re: Coffee Bar   Coffee Bar Icon_minitimeSat Oct 18, 2008 5:24 pm

Tues the 28th works best for me, as I have Halloween plans.

And if you and Ame want to pick out a movie, I am cool. Mostly because there's lots I have seen and I think we all know that I'm not picky about my horror movies, or re-watching them. Unless they truly, truly sucked.
Back to top Go down
tjy49
Midnighter
Midnighter
tjy49

Coffee Bar Empty
PostSubject: Re: Coffee Bar   Coffee Bar Icon_minitimeSun Oct 19, 2008 9:27 pm

Don't choose when a stranger calls. Saw 1 and 2 could work, but you guys might not like gore so much. And anything with serial killers would work for your human-only criteria. Hey, how about Mommie Dearest Smile
Back to top Go down
Kate
Admin
Kate

Coffee Bar Empty
PostSubject: Re: Coffee Bar   Coffee Bar Icon_minitimeMon Oct 20, 2008 11:13 am

Mommie Dearest might be a little too real to life for some people. XD Just joking, my mom's awesome, she'd have to be to have given birth to some so made of awesome as myself.

Bittner suggested The Strangers in a text message to me, which is a huge step for her since the trailer scared the crap out of her. The movie comes out on Tuesday, so it should be easy to get next week.
Back to top Go down
tjy49
Midnighter
Midnighter
tjy49

Coffee Bar Empty
PostSubject: Re: Coffee Bar   Coffee Bar Icon_minitimeWed Oct 22, 2008 1:43 am

The strangers might be too intense for me. I like my horror fake, that way I don't think about it at night when I'm all alone, in the woods or not. What have the reviews said about it? Is it something that could potentially happen in real life? This is why we watch happy movies for Halloween, and scary ones for Christmas, everything balances. Sleeping Beauty was just re-released, anybody game? Smile
Back to top Go down
Kate
Admin
Kate

Coffee Bar Empty
PostSubject: Re: Coffee Bar   Coffee Bar Icon_minitimeWed Oct 22, 2008 12:07 pm

I'm willing to make it a double header. Scary movie first, Sleeping Beauty second.

I'm a little unsure about the Strangers as well... I'll be alone next week, and Courtney lives on her own as well... so it might not be the best choice, it's supposed to be pretty scary... Of course, I have guns and will shoot any people with scary masks that suddenly appear in my house.

It's probably a good thing that I'm going over to my brother's house for Halloween, since there will be lots of strangers in scary masks trying to get in my apartment. XD
Back to top Go down
bittner29
Admin
bittner29

Coffee Bar Empty
PostSubject: Re: Coffee Bar   Coffee Bar Icon_minitimeThu Nov 20, 2008 1:13 pm

Lately I have started renting audio books on cd from Hastings. Mostly just the Harry Potter books. But some stupid little whore beast rented out their one copy of Deathly Hollows before I had my shot with it so the other day I needed a substitute. I saw that they had The Host by Stephanie Meyers so I rented that. It was our book of the month last May I believe but I thought it might be fun to read it (hear it) again because I have been thinking about it lately.
It really is a good book. I forgot how much I liked it. I kind of fast forward through the beginning. I don't really like the book until she gets to the cave. And the girl who reads it does a really good job. I checked on the back of Twilight to make sure it wasn't the same girl, I know that Kate is much of a fan of the girl that read Twilight.
I forgot how much I loved Ian. I mean Jarred was fine and all but I loved Ian throughout that whole book. And I was so excited when his character appeared.
Any way I just wanted to drop a note about how much I am enjoying it to see if you guys had as fond memories of it as I do.
Back to top Go down
tjy49
Midnighter
Midnighter
tjy49

Coffee Bar Empty
PostSubject: Re: Coffee Bar   Coffee Bar Icon_minitimeThu Nov 20, 2008 1:41 pm

Ian is fine, but I like Jarred more. Ian's too weak and will ultimately cause trouble. The world is different know, and people need to be tough. It's like with zombies. If you let them get too close, they'll eat your brains and you become one of them. The book was kind of like a new take on split personalities. That's what I liked about the book. That both personalites were able to survive and have happy endings. Although usually the zombie ends up dieing, except in Shaun of the Dead. Smile I'd write more, but I'm in class Razz
Back to top Go down
Kate
Admin
Kate

Coffee Bar Empty
PostSubject: Re: Coffee Bar   Coffee Bar Icon_minitimeThu Nov 20, 2008 9:31 pm

Oh, Manda panda. So young... and yet so wrong. Ian rocked The Host... literally. XD
Back to top Go down
tjy49
Midnighter
Midnighter
tjy49

Coffee Bar Empty
PostSubject: Re: Coffee Bar   Coffee Bar Icon_minitimeFri Nov 21, 2008 6:10 am

My relating the book to zombies didn't sway you? king
Back to top Go down
Kate
Admin
Kate

Coffee Bar Empty
PostSubject: Re: Coffee Bar   Coffee Bar Icon_minitimeFri Nov 21, 2008 12:06 pm

Hey, I love zombies... and Ian. XD
Back to top Go down
bittner29
Admin
bittner29

Coffee Bar Empty
PostSubject: Re: Coffee Bar   Coffee Bar Icon_minitimeFri Nov 21, 2008 12:28 pm

actually I thought your take on the zombies was very entertaining! But I still think you are wrong about Ian. We didn't really get to see what Ian was like before Wanda came around. And in the very beginning he was aggressive towards her. When they found her in the desert he didn't think they should let her live and at one point he tried to strangle her. So you see in the begining he was tough and strong and ready to take on the dangers of that time. But he didn't start to fall for Wanda until after Jeb was convinced she was ok and started to make her part of the community. Then he fell in love I love you And you can't blame him for showing his softer side at that point.
Even when times are bad and aliens (or zombies) are trying to take over the world you still have to be able to show compassion. And look where it got them. If they hadn't shown compassion to her and let her live, she would have never taught them how to remove the souls from the others. The human race would have never stood a chance. Even in Shawn of the dead people showed compassion in the end. That one girl stayed married to her zombie and shawn let his frien live and even Coldplay through a concert to support them.
But the more important question here is...
What the hell were you doing on the internet at FOUR in the morning!?!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Coffee Bar Empty
PostSubject: Re: Coffee Bar   Coffee Bar Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Coffee Bar
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Midnight Book Club :: The Rubber Room-
Jump to: