The Midnight Book Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Midnight Book Club

An On-line Book Club

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Jane-Emily: And Witches' Children

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Kate
Admin
Kate

Jane-Emily: And Witches' Children Empty
PostSubject: Jane-Emily: And Witches' Children   Jane-Emily: And Witches' Children Icon_minitimeSun Oct 05, 2008 12:22 am

Our second book of October is Jane-Emily by Patricia Clapp:

Jane-Emily: And Witches' Children 9780061245015

Quote :
Emily was a selfish, willful, hateful child who died before her thirteenth birthday. But that was a long time ago.

Jane is nine years old and an orphan when she and her young Aunt Louisa come to spend the summer at Jane's grandmother's house, a large, mysterious mansion in Massachusetts. Then one day . . . Jane stares into a reflecting ball in the garden—and the face that looks back at her is not her own.

Many years earlier, a child of rage and malevolence lived in this place. And she never left. Now Emily has dark plans for little Jane—a blood-chilling purpose that Louisa, just a girl herself, must battle with all her heart, soul, and spirit . . . or she will lose her innocent, helpless niece forever.

One of the most adored ghost stories of all time is available again after thirty years—to thrill and chill a new generation!

Chills! A great classic ghost story to celebrate the darker side of Halloween (not that The Hunger Games is a lighthearted literary romp). I haven't read any Patricia Clapp, but this is a timeless tale that many authors have interpreted. Can't wait for Amazon to deliver this either (now that we're poorer, Amazon is the only way to purchase all these books until I get my VA driver's license so that I can get my library card. Books are too expensive at the bookstore- I saved over 20.00 on both books by ordering online, plus I got free shipping. Bite that Barnes and Noble! ~sorry Michelle). This will be a great book to curl up to on a cold Fall's day.
Back to top Go down
http://www.midnightbookgirl.com/
Mickey
BookWorm
BookWorm

PostSubject: Re: Jane-Emily: And Witches' Children   Jane-Emily: And Witches' Children Icon_minitimeSun Oct 05, 2008 1:59 am

No worries, Kate...B&N isn't on my happy list right now either...I didn't get the merchandise manager job, so I am more than a little angry. But yeah, I thought Jane-Emily looked like a great book. Found it in the store one day while doing a search for ghost stories. This is the time of year when I love reading these types of books. I am completely beyond broke at the moment, so it will be another paycheck or two before I can actually purchase the book, but the other one I will be able to check out from the store since it is a hardcover, so that is a plus. Just have to finish up Surrender All, then I can get it turned in and switch them out. Yay!
Back to top Go down
Kate
Admin
Kate

PostSubject: Re: Jane-Emily: And Witches' Children   Jane-Emily: And Witches' Children Icon_minitimeFri Oct 10, 2008 1:46 am

I got my first book! Jane-Emily came today. I've only read a few pages, but I already like the writing style. I have a feeling that it will be an easy read (that and the fact that it's less than 150 pages long!). Hopefully tomorrow will be cold and can curl up outside on my porch with a blanket and a hot cup of cocoa! XD
Back to top Go down
Mickey
BookWorm
BookWorm

PostSubject: Re: Jane-Emily: And Witches' Children   Jane-Emily: And Witches' Children Icon_minitimeFri Oct 10, 2008 1:56 am

I am already a couple of chapters in as well, been reading it on breaks at work. I am definitely liking it more than the other book of the month. But for me, nothing beats a nice classic haunting story anyway. I had to run an errand on my lunch break today, but I am hoping to get another chapter or two in tomorrow. Still don't have the funds to actually purchase the book yet.
Back to top Go down
tjy49
Midnighter
Midnighter
tjy49

PostSubject: Re: Jane-Emily: And Witches' Children   Jane-Emily: And Witches' Children Icon_minitimeSat Oct 18, 2008 12:45 pm

Are we just reading Jane-Emily, or are we reading The Witches Children also? I'm almost done with Jane-Emily, and most of that has to do with me getting strep and being too contagious to work until Sunday. Other than that, I'm kinda worried about two tests I have on Thursday, so just reading the one is fine by me.
Back to top Go down
bittner29
Admin
bittner29

PostSubject: Re: Jane-Emily: And Witches' Children   Jane-Emily: And Witches' Children Icon_minitimeSat Oct 18, 2008 2:52 pm

I just got Jane-Emily yesterday. My whole first paycheck at my new job had to go to my rent so I just now have money again. But since i'm going from getting paid once a week to everyother week, I have to watch what I spend. So yesterday I went to Hastings and got a used copy of Jane-Emily for $7!!!! Take that Amazon geek
I take the books with me when I go to Ame's house to watch the world series games. GO SOX Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Very Happy Ame will be on her computer so during commercial breaks I'll get to read. Also I read when the other team is up to bat, Evil or Very Mad you Tampa Bay!!
So I'll be able to read it tonight. And if it is as short as you say I'll probably finish it at least by tomorrow, because we play tomorrow night as well.
I plan on reading both stories in the Jane and Emily book and then if there is time before the end of the month making my way over to Hunger Games. Mostly because Hunger Games sounds like the type of book that I would, under normal circumstances I probably would never read. Well actually no probably about it, I would never read that book. But that is kind of one of the points to all of this to read books I wouldn't normally.
But as far as what Amanda asked, I'd say just read what you can.
Back to top Go down
http://abductedbybooks.blogspot.com
Kate
Admin
Kate

PostSubject: Re: Jane-Emily: And Witches' Children   Jane-Emily: And Witches' Children Icon_minitimeSat Oct 18, 2008 4:13 pm

Jane Emily is the main book, Witches Children was just a bonus to make the book more expensive. XD So read if you want, comment on it if you want, but it's not officially a book of the month selection.

So I am soooooooooo super pissed at the post office. My Hunger Games has been sitting somewhere in Richmond since the 11th. But I've been patient, since est delivery wasn't until the 14th. Finally on Thursday the 16th I sent an email to Amazon. They responded late that night saying that an attempted delivery had been made that very night at 7:23 pm, which is bullshit, I was not only home, but the mailman does not come at that time, and no note was left. But I went up to the post office yesterday to try to pick it up, and the lady went to look for it. She was gone a long time and when she comes back she's got her supervisor with her. He tells me that he sent it out again for delivery (which is just more bullshit- with Jane-Emily I missed the package and a note was left on my door and I retrieved the next day at the post office, no problem). So I asked the supervisor what time I should expect my package, and he's say's "Uh, 5:30". I just knew he was lying, but I dropped it. And of course the package didn't come. Bassholes.

So here's what I think: I think someone lost (read stole) my package and they just don't want to admit. But if they did admit it I wouldn't be half as pissed as I am by all their damn lies. MotherChuckers.

Back to top Go down
bittner29
Admin
bittner29

PostSubject: Re: Jane-Emily: And Witches' Children   Jane-Emily: And Witches' Children Icon_minitimeThu Oct 23, 2008 3:36 pm

Monday night I read the first chapter to Jane-Emily. Then I took it to work with me the next day and we were so slow that I was able to finish the book at work.
I really liked it. It was a good, light read that jumped right into the story without any confusion. I do like to read books that are more intence but sometimes it feels really good to curl up with a book you know wont be any trouble at all to finish in one sitting.
I liked the side romance between Adam and Louisa. A little on the corny side but I still found it cute. I liked the relationship between Jane and Louisa, how they were closer like sisters instead of aunt/niece.
I thought it was really interesting the way Patricia Clapp wrote about the dinamic bectween Emily, her mother, and her father.
Should you love your child more than your partner?
Should you love your partner more than your child?
If your partner loves the child more than you, how does that jepordize your relationship?

*Pause*

After taking a moment to discuss the thoughts with Ame I am back to leave my opinion. Ame wasn't much help, she just agreed they are very tricky questions. And that the love you have for a spouse (passionate and romantic) is different from the love one should have for a child (unconditional and protective).
The father was wrong to let his love for his daughter blind him to the fact that he was helping her grow into a spoiled rotten selfish brat of a child.
The mother was wrong to let her love of her husband come between what she new to be best for her daughter.
I think what it basically comes down to is that in a way, with certain situations, when you love someone you can not be affraid to hurt them.
It would of hurt Emily to have her father deny her what she wanted but in the end, no one can deny how good it would have been for her.
It would have hurt her husband for the mother to stand up to him. But if she had, Emily may not have died, which hurt him even more.
I think in the end your marriage should come first because you have to show an united front to your kids. Plus your marriage will be reflected in all of there future relationships. But in those special circumstances you do have a responsibility to your kids.

Any thoughts.
Back to top Go down
http://abductedbybooks.blogspot.com
Kate
Admin
Kate

PostSubject: Re: Jane-Emily: And Witches' Children   Jane-Emily: And Witches' Children Icon_minitimeThu Oct 30, 2008 11:29 am

What I liked most about this book is that the horror wasn't over the top. Which is kind of funny, since I love horror so much, but it's true. The book felt eerie, the way Jane seemed to be almost turning into to Emily at times. It never felt like the author was pushing or hurrying the storyline, it seemed to flow naturally. Despite the shortness of the book, I felt like the character of Emily, seen in a few telling flashbacks, was well defined. I liked the romance of the story as well (even thought old school horror movie girl like me thought the good doctor was destined to die).

To address your point, Bittner, it's true- Parents should love one another, and then share the love they create with their children. Despite the popular belief that you're supposed to love your children more, you're really supposed to love and honor your spouse more. It just rarely works that way. In a small twist, it is the father that dotes more on the daughter. This puts his wife in a precarious situation. She wants to please her husband, but can readily see the negative effect his spoiling Emily has on the child. She is over ruled by two strong willed characters.

But I will say this, Emily was a demonic freak! To be so young and already do evil leaves me a little... well, jealous, to be honest.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Jane-Emily: And Witches' Children   Jane-Emily: And Witches' Children Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Jane-Emily: And Witches' Children
Page 1 of 1