The Midnight Book Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Midnight Book Club

An On-line Book Club

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Round Ireland With A Fridge

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
bittner29
Admin
bittner29

Round Ireland With A Fridge Empty
PostSubject: Round Ireland With A Fridge   Round Ireland With A Fridge Icon_minitimeTue Jul 07, 2009 12:28 am

Round Ireland With A Fridge %7B1DE44CBB-FDD0-4DD3-B437-1796F4D4727C%7DImg100

I was searching for a thriller to read this summer and some how I came across this book by Tony Hawks. Now it's not really a thriller but it looks really funny. And I am always in the mood for a book that makes me laugh. Here is the review I got off Bookreporter.com

ROUND IRELAND WITH A FRIDGE begins with this foolish (read: drunken) bet that Tony Hawks, a comedian from Britain, cannot hitch around Ireland while lugging a refrigerator in thirty days. Tony admits that this bet is as asinine as you can get, and accepts it for the spirit only, never wanting to say "if only" --- the refrigerator ends up costing him more than he actually stands to win.

Blessed by good weather and a spot on national radio, Tony sets off with fridge in tow, charms the people of Ireland, and gets charmed (and changed) by Ireland in return. Instead of becoming a hindrance, the fridge unexpectedly becomes a conversational and often embarrassing focal point for Tony and the people he meets along the way. During his month of hitching, Tony and the fridge meet a king, go surfing, enter a bachelor festival, and become intimate with the inside of more than a few pubs. The fridge, which usually receives more attention than Tony himself, is even blessed by a nun and christened by a bar staff.

ROUND IRELAND WITH A FRIDGE is not a travel book --- it does not describe the sights and sounds of Ireland, unless you consider the inside of a pub and scenes from the roadside "sights" (in which case, you will LOVE this book). Rather, it is a heartwarming testament to the generous people of Ireland, and an ode to how one pint-sized refrigerator can bring people together and show them a good time. Tony admits that his trip changed him, made him a better person, and his story is sure to change you, if only by adding a few more laugh lines to your face.

So there it is, my pick for july! And I think since this will be a quick read, we might be able to add another book to the month. That is if you are all up for it! Wink
Back to top Go down
http://abductedbybooks.blogspot.com
Kate
Admin
Kate

PostSubject: Re: Round Ireland With A Fridge   Round Ireland With A Fridge Icon_minitimeFri Sep 18, 2009 2:48 am

I only read a bit of this book at the beach, in part because my mom hijacked it, but mostly because I had so many other books begging to be read. I brought 9 books to the beach, and bought 4 more while I was there... I know, it's called an addiction.

I don't know why I wasn't more excited to read this book. I love all things Irish, the premise of the book- man traveling throughout Ireland with a fridge- was funny, and we've been wanting to do a non-fiction for our monthly book selection. But still, it took me a long while to get into this book. I read it bit by bit, all the while enjoying it. I think the main problem was that it never hooked me. It was easy to put the book down and then return to it later. Even though I enjoyed Hawk's humor, it wasn't laugh out loud funny for me. I snorted my way through I Love You, Beth Cooper, but alas, not a single snort while reading Round Ireland With A Fridge.

One thing that I really did like about the book was the Irish geography lesson I got. I've read lots of books that take place in Ireland, but to be honest I never truly understood the layout of the land. I liked the way Tony Hawk described the people he met, so that you got a real feel for them. I'm a big fan of that, as I think I said when we read Heart and Soul. I like being able to know something about someone straight off. It's like in real life, you can often tell a lot from a simple first introduction. I don't want to be told someone said something crankily, I want to be shown. That's what makes a good author, in my opinion.

I have longed to go to Ireland since I was child, and this book both took the edge of my longing and made me want to go all the more, if that makes any sense. The little towns Hawk drudges through, full of colorful pub characters- of which there are an abundance in Ireland- and funny, warm hearted people really reinforced my idea of Ireland as an ideal vacation. And the rain! God bless the rain! lol Maybe it's in my blood, but rain doesn't bother me a bit.

All in all, I did like the book. Probably won't re-read it anytime soon, and I won't be seeking out other books by the author like I did for Tess Gerritson. Good job, Bittner!
Back to top Go down
http://www.midnightbookgirl.com/
bittner29
Admin
bittner29

PostSubject: Re: Round Ireland With A Fridge   Round Ireland With A Fridge Icon_minitimeSat Sep 19, 2009 3:21 pm

I am really going to try to believe that you did like this book all though my instincts tell me that you are forcing a positive perspective on it just to make me happy.

Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven side note Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven
I am currently sitting at work, where I don't have a
single customer, so I am listening to a coldplay mix cd
that I made and singing along rather enthusiasticaly geek
so although I started posting this at 12:05pm, it may
take me a while to finally finish, I can't type and sing
at the same time, sorry! Razz

I really liked this book. I thought it was really funny. I liked Tony Hawks humor and his out look on his situation. Maybe I wasn't laughing hysterically outloud but there were a few single chuckles along the way.

Like a Star @ heaven Nobody said it was easy it's such a shame for us to part Like a Star @ heaven
Like a Star @ heaven Ill take you back to the start Like a Star @ heaven

One part in particular that I really enjoyed was, I think towards the middle when he was trying to get to Tory Island. I loved all the chaos of trying to get him on a helicoptor, I loved that after all that trouble he was only there for a half hour, I loved that he bought flowers for the King's daughter only to find out that she had left earlier that day.
That King seemed adorable, I want to go to Tory Island just to meet Patsy Dan king
Plus I loved that he included pictures of the trip in the book, there is one of King Patsy and he looks like the sweetest old man.

Like a Star @ heaven I never meant to cause you trouble, I never meant to do you wrong, and if I ever caused you trouble, no I never meant to do you harm. Like a Star @ heaven

I don't know, I just really appriciated Hawks ability to present the real Ireland. It just seemed like the most incredible expeirences and I don't know that he could have been as successful if he had tried that same trip somewhere in America or any other country in Europe. There is something truly unique about Ireland and it's people, and I felt like the book really captured it.

Like a Star @ heaven lights will quide you home, and ignite your bones, i will try to fix you Like a Star @ heaven

Although I don't know if I could keep up with all the drinking, in fact I know I wouldn't be able to keep up with all the drinking!

Like a Star @ heaven tear stream down your face when you loose something you can not replace Like a Star @ heaven

Maybe we should have saved this book for March Neutral

and done at 1:21
Back to top Go down
http://abductedbybooks.blogspot.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Round Ireland With A Fridge   Round Ireland With A Fridge Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Round Ireland With A Fridge
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Midnight Book Club :: Library-
Jump to: