The Midnight Book Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Midnight Book Club

An On-line Book Club

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Sunshine Discussion

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Kate
Admin
Kate

Sunshine Discussion Empty
PostSubject: Sunshine Discussion   Sunshine Discussion Icon_minitimeSat Sep 20, 2008 12:20 am

Sunshine Discussion N54845

Once you're done with the Book of the Month, post your thoughts here. I promise to try to find a way to finish this by the end of the month!!
Back to top Go down
http://www.midnightbookgirl.com/
bittner29
Admin
bittner29

PostSubject: Re: Sunshine Discussion   Sunshine Discussion Icon_minitimeTue Sep 30, 2008 12:12 pm

Let me start my review of Sunshine by first admitting how much I wish there was a restraunt/coffee house like Charlie's here in Norman. I mean didn't that place just sound awesome. It was kind of a cross between Panera and La Baguette and Marie Calender's and the cafe sections at all the book stores. I would so be a regular there, I would probably go there every day and get to know everybody. And I am assuming that aside from the champane, the prices can't be too bad because the characters seem to eat a lot and it doesn't seem like the kind of town crawling with the rich and famous.
While reading Sunshine I tried my best to not put to much thought into how this story compared to the Twilight stories. But a part of me still had to compare them in the end just for the simple fact that the Twilight series are the only other vampire books I have read. And come to think of it, other then Once Bitten, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, and Interview witht a Vampire, I haven't even seen that many vampire movies (I do love Once Bitten though and Luke Perry was hot in Buffy).
As stated previously I did love McKinley's take on the other demons and the were's. One of the things I enjoyed about this book, was that the characters already know about vampires and that they are real. In the Twilight books and in those three movies I have seen, the vampires live in the underground and the story centers around our lead character discovering that they are real. There is that new show on HBO, True Blood, and those characters already know about the vampires. But I have only seen the first episode of that show.
I didn't like all of the traveling between the different worlds. She kind of seperated the vampire world from the human world and I just felt like that wasn't necessary. Plus the whole part with the emails and the combox's confused me.
Unlike the Twilight books, at least in Sunshine we actually got to read about the epic battle at the end. Bella was never in the middle of the fights, even at the end of Eclipse we only got to hear about the battles through Edward and then he chased Victoria into the woods to dismember her. But Sunshine just got right up in there and ripped those vampires to shreads. The book was a little on the bloody side for my personal taste. But I still liked that she didn't just have her faint until the battle scene was over.
I wished that she had describe Con in a more human way. She continualy mentioned how unhuman he appeard to Sunshine, which allows the reader to remember the division between the two characters. That he is a vampire. But it made it harder to have the hots for him as much as so many girls these days have for Edward.
But all in all, in the end, I enjoyed McKinley's humor and style of writing. I did buy her copy of the book Beauty and can't wait to start reading it.
Back to top Go down
http://abductedbybooks.blogspot.com
Kate
Admin
Kate

PostSubject: Re: Sunshine Discussion   Sunshine Discussion Icon_minitimeSun Oct 05, 2008 12:06 am

I did like this book, although it wasn't a page turner. I had a hard time relating to Sunshine. Plus I wanted to find Con and or Mel attractive, but neither of them did anything for me. Plus, her relationship with Mel confused me, as she never seemed concerned about her attraction to Con, other than the fact that he was a vampire.

One thing that I both loved and hated about the book was the sense that I had come into the middle of a story. I felt as if McKinley did a good job creating this other world, which I am sure was clear in her mind, but it's like its the second book of a series.... I would have liked more background, but I'm sure that would have slowed the plot down further.

I loved the flashbacks with the Grandmother, and her appearance at the end. But I didn't that Sunshine's father's history, and what had become of him and his family, was left a mystery. You get the feeling that her Grandmother had passed on at the end, even though her hair is grayer. But personally I like to believe that her Gran was able to come to her in the dream from somewhere other than the Other Side. Perhaps she's alive somewhere involved in overthrowing vampires and being cool.

I agree that I loved the authors description of the other Others. The whole way that Sunshine traveled or sought the vampires was just a little whack, but I rolled with it. The part where her necklace becomes part of her, like a tattoo, was nice. I wish her little sunshine glitter ward had stayed visible. If they ever make a movie out of the book, that'll be the effect that I will look forward to the most.

Despite the author and Sunshine's description of Con, and because I watched Tru Blood too, I pictured Con looking like the main vampire guy in Tru Blood. I love vampires, so the description of them as being less than hot wasn't appealing to me. I like when vampires are brooding, dark, romantic and a little dangerous (or a lot dangerous XD).

In conclusion, I liked Sunshine.... but I didn't love it.
Back to top Go down
tjy49
Midnighter
Midnighter
tjy49

PostSubject: Re: Sunshine Discussion   Sunshine Discussion Icon_minitimeSun Oct 05, 2008 11:26 am

I agree with both of you. The book was fine, but not my favorite vampire book. I was picturing Con as Bill on True Blood also, except younger and a little more angry. All of the computer stuff I glossed over. My friend who recommended the book said she skips it whenever she rereads it. And that the part where she first finds Con and he's naked is her favorite. I thought that whole encounter was pretty funny, and I was hoping more was going to come from it. Perhaps Con was trying not to get too attached to someone who would probably die-still hurting from his master's death or something like that. I liked how she was able to suck it up and kill vampires, and be the one who killed the "boss". At the beginning, it was awesome how she had the power to take a vampire in the daylight. I was not pleased that he looked bad in it though. But I was glad that he took care of her afterwards. And that he was able to fix her wound about a month later. That was an interesting scene as well. I was hoping for a Mel-Con-Sunshine love triangle, but no luck. She didn't seem to care for him much if she's willing to move on the the next vampire so quickly. I was hoping he'd become part of the final battle. I really liked her landlady. It would be so cool to be able to make all the stuff she had! And she just seemed like a cool person to have as an ally even without that talent.
Back to top Go down
Kate
Admin
Kate

PostSubject: Re: Sunshine Discussion   Sunshine Discussion Icon_minitimeSun Oct 05, 2008 12:15 pm

It feels like a series! There's so many characters that I want more information on! Plus, is Sunshine part Demon? Is there still a chance that she might go all nuts? What's up with Mel's tattoos? Just how the hell old is he? What's up with Sunshine's mom? There was a big potential there for conflict but we were told more than we were shown. What about Maud, I really like Maud. And I agree, the landlady rocked. Would love to know who her master is.
Back to top Go down
bittner29
Admin
bittner29

PostSubject: Re: Sunshine Discussion   Sunshine Discussion Icon_minitimeFri Oct 10, 2008 1:24 pm

I think that was one of the things that I didn't like about the book though. There were so many questions left to be answered, but because the initial book wasn't a page turner, I was left feeling like I would never get the answers.
What is funny though is I pictured Con to look like the guy from True Blood too!!! Because Kate and I had just watched the first episode just before I started reading the book.
But speaking of funny, I forgot to mention that I really did find the book funny. I finished the book like a week and a half ago so off the top of my head I can't remember specific scenes. But I do remember laughing out loud at parts and I liked all her little rants when she was thinking things through.
Back to top Go down
http://abductedbybooks.blogspot.com
Kate
Admin
Kate

PostSubject: Re: Sunshine Discussion   Sunshine Discussion Icon_minitimeFri Oct 10, 2008 5:45 pm

The book was funny, and it may be one that I go back and read again, because the first read through I was just desperate to finish, and it was such a slow read, that I didn't get a full understanding of the novel. I still feel that the author had a whole bunch of awesome ideas, but then dropped them because she didn't have time to finish them and still have it fit.... or maybe she just had an overly heavy handed editor?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Sunshine Discussion   Sunshine Discussion Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Sunshine Discussion
Page 1 of 1