The Midnight Book Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Midnight Book Club

An On-line Book Club

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Book Quotes

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Kate
Admin
Kate

Book Quotes Empty
PostSubject: Book Quotes   Book Quotes Icon_minitimeMon Jun 16, 2008 1:09 pm

Reading a really good book, and just found a quote that you really, really loved?

Post it here and share it with the world. Be sure to include what book it's from and the author.

If you want include a little something on why you like that particular quote.
Back to top Go down
http://www.midnightbookgirl.com/
bittner29
Admin
bittner29

Book Quotes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Book Quotes   Book Quotes Icon_minitimeTue Jun 17, 2008 9:25 am

"Within the baselines anything can happen. Tides can reverse; oceans can open. That's why they say 'The game is never over until the last man is out.' Colors can change, lives can alter, anything is possible in this gentle, flawless, loving game." - W.P. Kinsella SHOELESS JOE
As a true baseball fan, I loved this book. It is the book that the film FIELD OF DREAMS was based on. If you love baseball you should deffinatly read this one. If you really don't like baseball it might be hard to get through it. I mean it is still a good book about a man's relationships with his father and his wife. It is about a man's search to justify his life and make ammends with the his past mistakes. But there is a lot of baseball worship in this book so you'll just have to suck it up.
Back to top Go down
http://abductedbybooks.blogspot.com
bittner29
Admin
bittner29

Book Quotes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Book Quotes   Book Quotes Icon_minitimeFri Jul 18, 2008 8:51 pm

You know, if no one else is going to contribute we could just file these under "bittner's picks"...just kidding!
But I want someone else to post good quotes too, am I the only one who underlines good parts in their books?

I just today finally finished reading "A Tree Grows In Brooklyn". And I want to thank Amanda for loaning it to me and not yelling at me since it took me so long to get through it! And don't worry, I didn't underline anything. I actually wrote down every page number that had a good line on it on my bookmark so that when I do buy the book I can go back through and underline the parts I liked.

I actually really did like this book. It took me a while to get through the beginning, the story does kind of move a little slowly. But I really really liked the ending. And at this point in my reading habbits, that is pretty much all it takes from a book to win me over. Because I hate books/movies/life in general that have crappy endings. I like to feel complete at the end of a book, like it came full circle. And I felt that way when I got to the end of this book, how could you not?

Anyway, the entire beginning of the book centers around the relationship between Katie and Johnny. Their love for eachother and how Katie said she would bare any hardship to have him, not realizing how true that statement was.

But my favorite quote from this book (the one I would honestly go back and re-read) was on page 59;

"What Katie and Johnny said to each other on that special day, they never remembered. Somehow during their aimless but oh-so-significant conversation with its delicious pauses and thrilling undercurrents of emotion, they came to know that they loved eachother passionately."

I don't really know what to say about it to explain why I just loved those two sentences. But I will admitt, as corny and dorky and embarrassing as it may be to admitt, that I read that and thought, I can't wait to have that kind of conversation. I mean I really can't wait to look back on my life and remember that one conversation when I realized that I was in love passionately with the man next to me. It is a romantic idea, but I also love that they don't remember what they talked about. It didn't matter. The result was all that mattered.
I just really liked the idea of it.
Back to top Go down
bittner29
Admin
bittner29

Book Quotes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Book Quotes   Book Quotes Icon_minitimeFri Jul 18, 2008 8:58 pm

And just for fun, here is my favorite quote from the book that Kate and I read that started the bookclub,
Fly By Night by Frances Hardinge

when asked how much courage she had, Mosca answered:

"enough to pluck the tail of the Devil's horse, but not enough to ride 'im." pg 99.

Come on now that is good quote!!!
Back to top Go down
Kate
Admin
Kate

Book Quotes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Book Quotes   Book Quotes Icon_minitimeThu Jul 24, 2008 4:43 pm

Okay, I loved the movie Willow, but really, who didn't? So much so that I went out years ago and boutght the book. So here's a rather long exchange between my two favorite characters:

Quote :
Madmartigan laughed. "Oh, no. I'm not letting you get away, Princess."

"Why? Because I'm your sun? Your moon? Your starlit sky?"

"Did I really talk such drivel?"

"Yes. You said you loved me, too."

"Unbelievable! I remember nothing of that!"

"So you lied."

"No. I mean yes. I mean, I wasn't myself last night."

Sorsha laughed sarcastically. "Enchanted, I suppose. You were helpless against my spell!"

"Yes. Sort of."

"And then what happened?"

"It . . . went away."

"Went away? 'I dwell in darkness without you,' and it went away?' She elbowed Madmartigan hard in the stomach and twisted against the arm clamping her tight. "You're a jackass!"

Love it! (this is for you Bittner, it was the only book I have on me at the moment other than Twilight).
Back to top Go down
http://www.midnightbookgirl.com/
Sponsored content

Book Quotes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Book Quotes   Book Quotes Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Book Quotes
Page 1 of 1