The Midnight Book Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Midnight Book Club

An On-line Book Club

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Next Month's Book Suggestions

Go down 
4 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
bittner29
Admin
bittner29

Next Month's Book Suggestions Empty
PostSubject: Next Month's Book Suggestions   Next Month's Book Suggestions Icon_minitimeWed Sep 24, 2008 3:24 pm

Kate and I have talked briefly about chooses a book out of the horror genre for the month of October.
Now this does not mean that for November we will find a book about pilgrims or read a Christmas Carol in December. But since October and Halloween have a whole genre to pick from, why not.
Along those lines though I think we should do Pride and Prejudice in February!! Or at least something along those lines.
Any way, we still have a few days before we have to pick a book for October, so if anyone else has any recomendation, voice them as soon as possible.

So far "the Decent" and "Salem Falls" have been tost around.
Back to top Go down
http://abductedbybooks.blogspot.com
tjy49
Midnighter
Midnighter
tjy49

PostSubject: Re: Next Month's Book Suggestions   Next Month's Book Suggestions Icon_minitimeThu Sep 25, 2008 12:18 am

Like "The Descent" the movie? Hell, we might as well read "The Shining"
Back to top Go down
Kate
Admin
Kate

PostSubject: Re: Next Month's Book Suggestions   Next Month's Book Suggestions Icon_minitimeFri Sep 26, 2008 12:18 am

Well, the book Descent is about caves, but that's about as much as it has in common with the movie. I was thinking instead of the Descent we could read this book that Stephenie Meyer's has listed on her website, it reminds me of a Stephen King novella called The Long Walk:
Quote :

September 17, 2008

People often ask me for reading suggestions, and I'm always happy to share because books are exciting things to me. My latest excitement is this: The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins. I was so obsessed with this book I had to take it with me out to dinner and hide it under the edge of the table so I wouldn't have to stop reading. The story kept me up for several nights in a row, because even after I was finished, I just lay in bed wide awake thinking about it. I've been recommending it to total strangers in Target. And now to everyone who reads my website. The Hunger Games is amazing.

--Stephenie
Back to top Go down
http://www.midnightbookgirl.com/
Mickey
BookWorm
BookWorm

PostSubject: Re: Next Month's Book Suggestions   Next Month's Book Suggestions Icon_minitimeFri Sep 26, 2008 10:22 am

This doesn't have to be a suggestion for the october book, but since everyone is thinking along the lines of spooky themed stories for the Halloween season, has anyone heard of the book Jane-Emily by Patricia Clapp? It is a ghost story and definitely on my must read list for the month. Just thought I would throw that out there...when I have time later, I will check out the synopsis for the one Meyer recommended on her site.
Back to top Go down
Kate
Admin
Kate

PostSubject: Re: Next Month's Book Suggestions   Next Month's Book Suggestions Icon_minitimeSun Sep 28, 2008 3:17 pm

Perhaps we could read two books? We all seem to be pretty fast readers (not that you would have to read both books).

I get internet tomorrow!!!!!!!! And hopefully a new SIM card so my cell phone will work again!
Back to top Go down
bittner29
Admin
bittner29

PostSubject: Re: Next Month's Book Suggestions   Next Month's Book Suggestions Icon_minitimeMon Sep 29, 2008 7:27 pm

The Shining Amanda? Really? That is like 700 PAGES!!!! Let's not get too cocky!

The Hunger Games- reminded me of the movie Battle Royale that Kate made me watch, right off the bat. So my first opinon was "no thanks". But when I read on I realized that it can't be too much like it because the review mentioned mutant werewolves, and Hunger Games takes place in the USA (thank God!!!). But I do think that they go along the same premise. I also liked the idea of the love triangle. It does seem pretty intence though, but maybe since it is only 384 pages it may not be that bad.

Jane-Emily- unfortunatly Amazon.com didn't have as detailed a review for this book as it did for Hunger Games so it didn't really tell me much. I do like that it is a ghost story and it is only 304 pages. But I will have to search online for a better written review for it so I can get a better idea what it is about.
Back to top Go down
Mickey
BookWorm
BookWorm

PostSubject: Re: Next Month's Book Suggestions   Next Month's Book Suggestions Icon_minitimeWed Oct 01, 2008 2:23 pm

Seeing as how it is now officially October...YAY!....has an October title been settled on yet? I am a little bit slower of a reader, since I usually have several books going at one time (at the moment Surrender All and Lawn Geek) so I want to get started on the new selection ASAP, in order to actually be an active participant in this month's discussion.
Back to top Go down
Kate
Admin
Kate

PostSubject: Re: Next Month's Book Suggestions   Next Month's Book Suggestions Icon_minitimeWed Oct 01, 2008 8:46 pm

Yes, we are actually doing two books this month, so you can either pick one or both. They are:

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

and

Jane-Emily by Patricia Clapp
Back to top Go down
Kate
Admin
Kate

PostSubject: November   Next Month's Book Suggestions Icon_minitimeThu Oct 23, 2008 3:50 pm

For this month I am nominating Heart and Soul by one of my favorite authors: Maeve Binchy. Those unfamiliar with her works might remember the movie Circle of Friends- she wrote the novel it was based from.

Here's what Amazon is saying about her new book:

Quote :
With the warmth, humor, and compassion we have come to expect from her, Maeve Binchy tells a story of family, friends, patients, and staff who are part of a heart clinic in a community caught between the old and the new Ireland.

Dr. Clara Casey has been offered the thankless job of establishing the underfunded clinic and agrees to take it on for a year. She has plenty on her plate already—two difficult adult daughters and the unwanted attentions of her exhusband—but she assembles a wonderfully diverse staff devoted to helping their demanding, often difficult patients: the infectiously cheerful nurse; the indispensable office manager who can’t quite manage her own life; the Polish girl who’s come to Ireland to put a bad love affair firmly in her past and the booming Irish economy in her future; the young doctor who has a special touch with his patients; the physical therapist who undertakes a very different kind of therapy involving a local priest and a stalker.

Before long they manage to establish the clinic as an essential part of the community and Clara must decide whether or not to leave a place where lives are saved, courage is rewarded, and humor and optimism triumph over greed and self-pity.

Heart and Soul is Maeve Binchy at her heartwarming storytelling best.
Back to top Go down
Mickey
BookWorm
BookWorm

PostSubject: Re: Next Month's Book Suggestions   Next Month's Book Suggestions Icon_minitimeFri Oct 24, 2008 2:32 am

I am not familiar with the author's work, but I think this book sounds lovely. In fact, I will check out the availability of it at my store right now.
Back to top Go down
tjy49
Midnighter
Midnighter
tjy49

PostSubject: Re: Next Month's Book Suggestions   Next Month's Book Suggestions Icon_minitimeFri Oct 24, 2008 3:27 am

I don't think this book is being released until February. That's what i found on amazon anyways.
Back to top Go down
Kate
Admin
Kate

PostSubject: Re: Next Month's Book Suggestions   Next Month's Book Suggestions Icon_minitimeFri Oct 24, 2008 11:14 am

Well, crap. Then it's my February suggestion. Crap

Michelle, she rights some really great novels, just about everyday life and love (although since she's Irish most of the characters are Irish and English) I think you'd like her, specially some of her newer stuff like Scarlet Feather and Nights of Rain and Stars- which I loved, but I like all of her books. XD

Okay, so now that I screwed up for the November suggestion, what sounds good?
Back to top Go down
tjy49
Midnighter
Midnighter
tjy49

PostSubject: Re: Next Month's Book Suggestions   Next Month's Book Suggestions Icon_minitimeMon Oct 27, 2008 12:39 am

I say we read "Watchmen". It's more of a graphic novel than a traditional book, but it's supposed to be good. The main reason I want to read it is because the movie comes out in March; and I've already started it. I needed something to read before Amazon delivered my books. So far, it's about heros looking back on their lives, and how things have gotten this way or gone wrong. So it's definitely not a traditional comic book type thing. I'm guessing it will also be a fast read because there are pictures. But there are also sections of regular writing as well. Give it a look-see and respond with thoughts Smile
Back to top Go down
Kate
Admin
Kate

PostSubject: Re: Next Month's Book Suggestions   Next Month's Book Suggestions Icon_minitimeMon Oct 27, 2008 1:41 pm

I'm cool with it, seeing as Aaron owns it, so that's one last book I need to buy! Maybe we could also do The Secret Life of Bees?
Back to top Go down
bittner29
Admin
bittner29

PostSubject: Re: Next Month's Book Suggestions   Next Month's Book Suggestions Icon_minitimeMon Oct 27, 2008 2:46 pm

So I went to Amazon.com and looked up the books.
When I looked up the first one, the Watchmen, it came up as almost $30!!! I was like "AW HELL NO!!!!!!!!!!"
But that was like the speacial features book in hardback with like speacial pictures or some s Evil or Very Mad like that. So then I found a paperback for $9.99 and I also found the bees book for like $11. So I'm cool with both, just let me know what you guys want to do.
Back to top Go down
Kate
Admin
Kate

PostSubject: Re: Next Month's Book Suggestions   Next Month's Book Suggestions Icon_minitimeMon Oct 27, 2008 4:39 pm

I think we should do both
Back to top Go down
bittner29
Admin
bittner29

PostSubject: Re: Next Month's Book Suggestions   Next Month's Book Suggestions Icon_minitimeWed Oct 29, 2008 5:16 pm

Okay I have already ordered both the Secret Life of Bees and The Watchmen from Amazon.com so there is no going back now, we have to read both books at some point.
I also ordered the book The Godfather, given that I just saw the movie for the first time on Saturday and was so taken by it that I really want to read the book.
I was just wondering what you guys thought about making that one of our books in November or December. I wasn't sure if you guys would want to read a mobster book but I really really do and it would be a new genre for us to tackle.
I will end up reading it one way or another but if anyone else wanted to give it a shot I can hold off reading it until we read it together.
Either way, just curious.
Back to top Go down
Kate
Admin
Kate

PostSubject: Re: Next Month's Book Suggestions   Next Month's Book Suggestions Icon_minitimeWed Oct 29, 2008 7:42 pm

I'm fine with having it be one of our December books, but maybe we could also have a smaller, more light hearted book to go with it?
Back to top Go down
bittner29
Admin
bittner29

PostSubject: Re: Next Month's Book Suggestions   Next Month's Book Suggestions Icon_minitimeThu Oct 30, 2008 3:38 pm

so I was looking up some "light hearted" books online to see if I could find a good one to also do in December.

I really liked this one called To Catch A Pirate by Jade Parker.

It is a young adult novel and 320 pages. All about a girl who is out to sea with her dad when they are over run by pirates. One of them, James I think his name was, tries to take her necklace and when she pleads for him not to he accpets a kiss instead. Then a year goes by and she goes out in search of him to get back her fathers treassure.
The line at the end of the review says that he is in danger of stealing something "far more valuable this time...her heart."

It sounds really cute and fun and who among us doesn't like pirates?
Back to top Go down
tjy49
Midnighter
Midnighter
tjy49

PostSubject: Re: Next Month's Book Suggestions   Next Month's Book Suggestions Icon_minitimeThu Oct 30, 2008 8:28 pm

Sorry, but gag. I like pirates, give me Jack Sparrow any day, but I've already seen Pirates of the Caribbean, I don't need to read about it too. How about Thornton Wilder's Theophilus North or The Eyre Affair by Fforde, or Buyology by Lindstrom. This last one is different from everything else we've read because it's nonfiction. But I think it would be interesting nonetheless. But perhaps the majority of you don't like economics stuff like I do.
Back to top Go down
bittner29
Admin
bittner29

PostSubject: Re: Next Month's Book Suggestions   Next Month's Book Suggestions Icon_minitimeThu Oct 30, 2008 9:51 pm

I'm not sold the Wilder's book. But THe Eyre Affair is suppossed to be a funny book so that one might be fun to read. Also Buyology sounded really interesting and funny as well. Buyology is shorter but it was also a little more expensive on Amazon.
Back to top Go down
Kate
Admin
Kate

PostSubject: Re: Next Month's Book Suggestions   Next Month's Book Suggestions Icon_minitimeWed Nov 05, 2008 12:52 am

Hmmm, I don't know about the pirate book, but I'll take a look at all of them when I get the chance.

Right now, for fun, I'm reading Rhett Butler's People, which is a retelling of Gone with the Wind, and a bit beyond, more from Rhett Butler's view point. I'm over half way through and it's really interesting. I still haven't found Aaron's copy of Watchmen, but I know it's here somewhere, and I have to wait for my sister in law for Bees. The library has no copies in at the moment, and although I will buy it someday, the price is still a bit high on it, and I am trying, trying very hard, not to buy every book I see. XD
Back to top Go down
bittner29
Admin
bittner29

PostSubject: Re: Next Month's Book Suggestions   Next Month's Book Suggestions Icon_minitimeFri Nov 07, 2008 12:16 pm

My books came in today and I am so excited. The Watchmen looks so different from anything else I've read so I can't wait to see how much I like it. I've also heard that with the Secret Life of Bees, the movie is better then the book, so I'm excited to read it and form my own opinon.
But the best part is that the Godfather book was among them!!! It is bright red and shiny and I am soooooooooooooo excited and can't wait to read it and finish it and put it on my bookshelf!!!
Back to top Go down
Kate
Admin
Kate

PostSubject: Re: Next Month's Book Suggestions   Next Month's Book Suggestions Icon_minitimeMon Nov 10, 2008 12:21 pm

Aaron found his copy of Watchmen, and my copy of The Secret Life of Bee's is awaiting pick up at my local library! So as soon as I finish From The Corner Of His Eyes by Dean Koontz, I will start on both the books. I'm actually pretty excited by Watchmen, especially as it is a new type of book for me. I've never really read a graphic novel (although I browsed through some of the Battle Royale issues- I bet you can't wait to go read them, Bittner! XD), so this will be a first for me. Despite hearing that the movie is better, I am still looking forward to The Secret Life of Bees. Last month we had two great books, and I think this month is proving promising.

Since we will be reading The Godfather next month, how about reading a holiday themed novel for a little lighthearted relief? We could read the book version of A Christmas Story (one of my all time favorite movies!!) or even A Christmas Carol (which I read well over 15 years ago... God, I am old.) What do ya'll think?
Back to top Go down
bittner29
Admin
bittner29

PostSubject: Re: Next Month's Book Suggestions   Next Month's Book Suggestions Icon_minitimeMon Nov 10, 2008 1:46 pm

It has been a good 11 years since I've read A Christmas Carol, but the copy I saw on Amazon only had 62 pages.
I LOVE the movie A Christmas Story (I like the part where he daydreams about going blind from his mom making put the soap in his mouth after swearing Laughing ) so that would be really fun to read.
There is also a novel for Miracle on 34th St, it is supposed to be really good as well. And I think it and Christmas Story are about the same length.
Either one will do for me, I'm just excited to read the Godfather.
December can't come fast enough as far as I'm concerned. santa
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Next Month's Book Suggestions   Next Month's Book Suggestions Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Next Month's Book Suggestions
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next