The Midnight Book Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Midnight Book Club

An On-line Book Club

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Next Month's Book Suggestions

Go down 
4 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Kate
Admin
Kate

Next Month's Book Suggestions - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Next Month's Book Suggestions   Next Month's Book Suggestions - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 10, 2008 11:17 pm

I think A Christmas Story will be the funniest to read, although I personally might read the other two (Christmas Carol and Miracle on 34th St). So, if no strong objections, the books for December will be The Godfather and A Christmas Story.
Back to top Go down
http://www.midnightbookgirl.com/
bittner29
Admin
bittner29

PostSubject: Re: Next Month's Book Suggestions   Next Month's Book Suggestions - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Dec 06, 2008 3:58 pm

Not to get too far ahead of ourselves but Stephen King wrote a good article about the 10 best books he read in 2008.
#10 was THE GOOD GUY by Dean Koontz. I know that Kate is a fan of Dean Koontz but I have never read him before (don't worry Kate, I haven't forgotten about Odd Thomas). Here is the review on Amazon
From Publishers Weekly
Starred Review. Bestseller Koontz (The Husband) delivers a thriller so compelling many readers will race through the book in one sitting. In the Hitchcockian opening, which resembles that of the cult noir film Red Rock West (1992), Timothy Carrier, a quiet stone mason having a beer in a California bar, meets a stranger who mistakes him for a hit man. The stranger slips Tim a manila envelope containing $10,000 in cash and a photo of the intended victim, Linda Paquette, a writer in Laguna Beach, then leaves. A moment later, Krait, the real killer, shows up and assumes Tim is his client. Tim manages to distract Krait from immediately carrying out the hit by saying he's had a change of heart and offering Krait the $10,000 he just received. This ploy gives the stone mason enough time to warn Linda before they begin a frantic flight for their lives. While it may be a stretch that the first man wouldn't do a better job of confirming Tim's identity, the novel's breathless pacing, clever twists and adroit characterizations all add up to superior entertainment.
Copyright © Reed Business Information, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved. --This text refers to the Hardcover edition.
Anyway, just a thought
Back to top Go down
http://abductedbybooks.blogspot.com
Kate
Admin
Kate

PostSubject: Re: Next Month's Book Suggestions   Next Month's Book Suggestions - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Dec 06, 2008 4:44 pm

I've already read it, and it's not my favorite Koontz book. Odd Thomas is soooooooo much better.
Back to top Go down
bittner29
Admin
bittner29

PostSubject: Re: Next Month's Book Suggestions   Next Month's Book Suggestions - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 10, 2008 1:01 pm

As I have stated in the past I mostly get ideas on books to read from the movies I watch. And last night I watched ABOUT A BOY and BRIDGET JONES' DIARY. So here are my thoughts;
1. I suggest that we read BRIDGET in feburary. Feburary is the month with valentine's day in it and BRIDGET was based off of PRIDE AND PREDJUDICE, which is only one of the greatest classic love stories. Problem being that I have already read it and I am pretty sure Kate has to. So for a twist we could read BRIDGET.
2. I would love to read something by Nick Hornby. He is another english author and he has had four of his books turned into movies; ABOUT A BOY, HIGH FIDELITY, FEVER PITCH and some movie I've never heard of (til I looked him up before making this post) called AN EDUCATION. So I am thinking that probably anything written by this guy will be funny and worth the read.
FEVER PITCH was written as a non-fiction novel, based off of Hornby's own love of "football" it has some writing in it but also a lot of essay's written about different matches. He does talk about the teams highs and lows and how they effect him, but I don't believe there is any girl in the book. Hornby, did however adapt the book for film and that's where the romantic story line came from.
I love the movie ABOUT A BOY, however in the special features they did say that the last third of the movie was written by the directors with help from Hugh Grant, so I am interested to see how the book ending differs from the movie.
And althrough I wasn't too crazy about the movie HIGH FIDELITY, I can see where the book could be really fun to read.

Now since I picked GODFATHER for this month, we can save these suggestion for some other month down the rode, I just wanted to throw it out there since I was thinking about it.
Back to top Go down
Kate
Admin
Kate

PostSubject: Re: Next Month's Book Suggestions   Next Month's Book Suggestions - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 10, 2008 2:12 pm

I read Bridget Jone's diary, but it's been years and I read inside the bookstore, so I didn't give it a huge effort. So I'd be willing to read it again.

I actually liked the movie High Fidelity, so I went and bought the book and I really didn't like it. I've never had the urge to watch About a Boy, mostly though I think that's my fault. I sort of connect in my mind as a British Big Daddy.

I would still like to read Heart and Soul by Maeve Binchy (it comes out Feb. 17).

At a recent trip to the library (where I checked out Godfather- I read it in three days!) I also picked up:

Heartsick by Chelsea Cain, here's a review of it:
Quote :

In this outstanding thriller, the first in a new series, Cain (Confessions of a Teen Sleuth) puts a fresh spin on a scenario familiar to fans of Thomas Harris's The Silence of the Lambs. When someone starts dumping the bodies of teenage girls around Portland, Ore., after soaking them in tubs of bleach, Archie Sheridan, a police detective addicted to pain killers, turns for help to Gretchen Lowell, an imprisoned serial killer who once tortured him (the big scar on his chest was shaped like a heart). Covering the crimes is reporter Susan Ward, a smart-alecky punk with pink hair and authority issues. The suspense builds as the narrative shifts between Sheridan's new case and his ordeal with Lowell, who in her own way is as memorable a villain as Hannibal Lecter. The damp Portland locale calls to mind the kind of Pacific Northwest darkness associated with Ted Bundy and Kurt Cobain. A vivid literary style lifts this well above the usual run of suspense novels.

I also got it's sequel Sweetheart, but I have yet to read either of them.

I also got Stardust, which the movie is based on. I really liked the movie, and I'm a sucker for any kind of fairy-tale-ish story. I'm about half way through it now, but I think I prefer the movie. Not that it's a bad book, but the movie made it a lot cuter. XD

I also got The Christmas Sweater by Glenn Beck, but I'm sure that one is going to make me cry.

Kootnz has a brand new book out- Your Heart Belongs to Me, which I can check out if we want to that for next month?

I wouldn't mind doing another graphic novel soon. So here's some that might be of interest:

Wanted by Mark Millar (I really liked the movie)
Sin City
30 Days of Night (vampires!)
and Aaron is shouting at me to add Sandman to the list. XD

Okay Weirdly enough, the dude that wrote Sandman- Neil Gaiman, also wrote Stardust and did the intro on The Good Fairies of New Your by Martin Millar that I just read... weird...

That's all for now. XD
Back to top Go down
bittner29
Admin
bittner29

PostSubject: Re: Next Month's Book Suggestions   Next Month's Book Suggestions - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 11, 2008 7:54 pm

NO HORROR NO HORROR NO HORROR
I ABSOLUTELY REFUSE!!!

I am sorry but there is no way I am reading 30 Days of Night or Sandman. Not going to happen. I am open to reading different styles of genre that I have never read before, the graphic novel was great Godfather type violence I am all about. But I DO NOT do horror. And it isn't even because I wont enjoy it. Because odds are I would probably like it, but that crap will haunt me. I can't do it, I wont do it!

Moving on

I am still all for reading Heart and Soul, but should we hold that one for March? It doesn't come out until 2-17, so I wasn't sure if we wanted to give it til March, just to make sure we were able to get copies and still have time to read.
I read the stuff on Sweetheart and Heartsick, and actually I was more interested in Sweetheart, I don't know why.
And to be honest I wasn't all that impressed with the review for Your Heart Belongs to Me.
But were you suggesting these as books for the club to read? I wasn't sure because you said you already had them.

As far as the graphic novel goes, I am all about reading Wanted.

Also, last night I was flipping through some of my old books, and even though I wasn't in love with Fly By Night, but I forgot how much I did love her style of writing! She has this other book called Gullstruck Island, it is kind of a kids book but it is 500 pages.
Back to top Go down
tjy49
Midnighter
Midnighter
tjy49

PostSubject: Re: Next Month's Book Suggestions   Next Month's Book Suggestions - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 15, 2008 5:15 am

you might as well watch About a Boy now. The guy who directed that, and the Golden Compass, is directing New Moon.
Back to top Go down
Kate
Admin
Kate

PostSubject: Re: Next Month's Book Suggestions   Next Month's Book Suggestions - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 15, 2008 2:10 pm

I am a little nervous about that, since Golden Compass bombed. Plus, he did the American Pie movies too. So help me, if Edward sticks his sparkle wand in a pie....

XD
Back to top Go down
bittner29
Admin
bittner29

PostSubject: Re: Next Month's Book Suggestions   Next Month's Book Suggestions - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 16, 2008 12:39 pm

Honestly I am not nervous at all. I have complete faith in Chris Weitz. I've never seen the Golden Compass, so I can't comment about why it bombed, but here is a little story I do know. Apparently while filming it Chris tried to take himself off the movie. He felt the project was too big for him and he didn't want to dissapoint the fan following of the book. So they brought on some british director and after a short while he removed himself from the project as well. Then the author of the book sought out Chris and persuaded him to rejoin and finish the film. Now, like I said I haven't seen the movie, of course now I really do want to, but for the author of the book to have that much faith in him, to me that says something. Also for him to realize when he is in over his head, to respect the fans enough to not want to dissapoint them, and for him to be humble enough to remove himself from a project like that, to me that also says something. Ame predicts that the release of the film will probably be falling around Thanksgiving again, so it looks like I'll be spending yet another birthday with my friends and Twilight. And this time I am really excited and can't wait Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Kate
Admin
Kate

PostSubject: Re: Next Month's Book Suggestions   Next Month's Book Suggestions - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 16, 2008 3:16 pm

Uhhh, that's hardly a prediction. New Moon's tenative release date (Nov. 20, 2009) is all over the internet.
Back to top Go down
bittner29
Admin
bittner29

PostSubject: Re: Next Month's Book Suggestions   Next Month's Book Suggestions - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 19, 2008 1:59 pm

Okay so Jan. is only 12 days away!!!

I've been browsing the internet at work trying to get some good book recommendations. Here are some that have caught my eye;

Beginner's Greek (it looks kind of cute but it is recommended on a lot of sites)

Angry Housewives Eating Bon Bons (I really only liked this one because it is about a group of women who are in a bookclub)

The Last Lecture (something about this book has been pulling me. But I don't know if that is a good thing or not)

Other books that we have discussed in the past and might want to come back to now;

Wanted (Looks really good)

Theophilus North (eh?)

The Eyre Affair (this is the one about the guy who goes around killing characters out of books and looks really funny)

Buyology (I think this one might be fun to read because it is different and because we just had Christmas where I know at least I was buying a lot of stuff I didn't really need to)

Personally I would like to go with; The Last Lecture, Wanted, The Eyre Affair or Buyology.
Back to top Go down
Kate
Admin
Kate

PostSubject: Re: Next Month's Book Suggestions   Next Month's Book Suggestions - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Dec 20, 2008 1:33 am

I like the Eyre Affair and The Last Lecture suggestions the best.

I also ordered Dead Until Dark from the library, and it should be in soon (it's what True Blood on HBO is based on but I figure the book has to be miles better than the show).

So, maybe we do the Eyre Affair and Dead Until Dark for January? And, make The Last Lecture it's own thread (it can be our book to start off our New Year as the seminar was so inspiring. It can be something we keep up all year long to remind ourselves to be Tiggers and not Eeyores!)
Back to top Go down
tjy49
Midnighter
Midnighter
tjy49

PostSubject: Re: Next Month's Book Suggestions   Next Month's Book Suggestions - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 22, 2008 3:21 pm

I've actually been reading the Dead until Dark series since I finished finals. I'm on book 2. They're really quick reads and kind of addicting. Yeah, I'm just not gonna get to the "official" books for december. As long as I can get it at the library, the book picks are fine with me.
Back to top Go down
tjy49
Midnighter
Midnighter
tjy49

PostSubject: February   Next Month's Book Suggestions - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 04, 2009 12:10 am

These are books I want to read after finally reading my entertainment weekly from a couple of weeks ago:

1. 2666-Roberto Bolano
2. Olive Ketteridge- Elizabeth Stout
3. Hot, Flat, and Crowded- Thomas Friedman
4. The Story of Edgar Sawtelle- David Wroblewski
5. The House on Fortune Street- Margot Livesey
6. Disquiet- Julia Leigh
7. The Age of Unreason- Susan Jacoby

And I want to read The World is Flat by Friedman because it's been out for over a year, I own it now, and still haven't read it.
Back to top Go down
Kate
Admin
Kate

PostSubject: Re: Next Month's Book Suggestions   Next Month's Book Suggestions - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 04, 2009 1:23 pm

Okay, I looked up all the books you've listed and heres what I think:

1. 2666- I like the sound of it, but I don't know if Bittner will.
2. I tried to look this up on Amazon and couldn't find it...
3. Seems too much like homework XD
4. Despite it being an Oprah book, this sounds really good
5. I really liked the description of this one, I might read it regardless of whether or not we choose it as a BotM
6. I'd be willing to read this, but it sounds grim.
7. Uh, again with the homework! XD But I'm afraid that makes me seem less intelligent, as I don't want to read books that might teach me something.... But then I realized ignorance is bliss, and once again I was happy.
Back to top Go down
bittner29
Admin
bittner29

PostSubject: Re: Next Month's Book Suggestions   Next Month's Book Suggestions - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 06, 2009 7:50 pm

Okay I just have one question I need to ask first; Amanda, what the hell is wrong with you?

I mean seriously those were the most depressing books I have had to read reviews on in the history of this book club!!! Dead authors, kids on suicide risk, infidelity, children born mute, fathers murdered, Uncle's trying to pull a Hamlet and swoop in on the mom, absent parents, abuse, still born babies being carried around like dolls and not to mention government, pollution, and our generation going down in flames!

Happy endings people come on!!!

1. 2666; I couldn't find a clear synopsis on this book. Every review was about how the guy had died I think before the last part of the book was finished. I got the impression that this book is kind of a writer's book. The kind of book that people who have studied theories on writing and producing novels and story development and have phd in character analyze would apprieciate but that doesn't mean that it would make for an enjoyable read. I read that it moves slowly and is 912 pages.

2. Olive Ketteridge; I am torn on this book. From the reviews I've read I gather the book is about one women dealing with her own demons by reflecting on the demons of others. But then there are other stories that let the reader observe how the rest of the town see this one woman. It could be depressing what with all those demons and self evaluations running around, but I can see how it could also be very interesting.

4. The Story of Edgar Sawtelle; You can't be serious with this one? So you have the whole Hamlet plot with the Uncle killing the dad and then trying to get with the mom, then you have the kid who is mute, being banished to the wild, only to try and come back later to avenge the father's death!?! COME ON!!! Plus I read a lot of reviews that said they felt that the author stabbed them in the back with the ending.

5. House on Fortune St.; Ok, this one could be good. I read one review that was a synopsis of the book, all about how it was written in the four parts and told the story of these two friends and thier relationships. But another review said it was about single women and the roles and influence we allow men to have in our lives. I was thinking it MIGHT be a good pick for february. Kind of anti-relationship book. But at the same time I like happy endings so I am just not sure about this one.

6. Disquiet; I'm nervous about any book that takes on such dark story lines and yet completes itself in just over a hundred pages. Plus the part about the girl carrying her stillborn around with her is disturbing.

Now for 3 and 7

Hot, Flat, and Crowded sounded frustrating to read. I'm all about having a social conscience but I don't know. I mean I get that the environment sucks right now and global warming is a bitch. I'm litteraly feeling that right now because this is the warmest winter in Oklahoma I have ever heard of. But from the reviews I read it didn't really sound like he was giving any advice on how I can make a difference. Little old me in Norman, ok, living pay check to pay check with no political affilations what-so-ever! And I just kind of have the attitude that if I can't help fix the problem then I don't want to listen to a guy rant about it. I could be wrong though, maybe he does give suggestions and solutions and they just weren't mentioned in the reviews.

Now with Age of Unreason; that one said it was all about how we are being consumed by the internet and tv/media culture. How we are making ourselves unintellectual. See that is a rant I could listen too. It's about an activity that I am active with on a daily basis, plus I got the impression that she does off solutions to this problem. Personaly I HATE the media and tv. I have lived with out having tv and internet in my home for a while now and I don't feel I'm lacking anything. However I do watch a lot of movies and tv on dvd so I wonder if she thinks that counts.
Personally though I am still interested in reading Buyology but maybe that's just me Cool

I am also, open to reading different reviews. So if there was a book that you felt I got the wrong impression on then let me know and I'll do some more digging around on them.
Back to top Go down
bittner29
Admin
bittner29

PostSubject: Re: Next Month's Book Suggestions   Next Month's Book Suggestions - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 06, 2009 7:52 pm

P.S. Amen to the ignorance is bliss theory! Wink
Back to top Go down
Kate
Admin
Kate

PostSubject: Re: Next Month's Book Suggestions   Next Month's Book Suggestions - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 06, 2009 9:19 pm

Uh, actually Bittner, you love tv. If it weren't for tv on dvd I doubt you would be quite so okay with not having cable. It totally counts. Plus, you go over to Ame's whenever you have to watch something. And are you telling me that you aren't enjoying the internet access at work? Or are you becoming Amish? It's okay to make fun of Amish people, since they aren't likely to stumble across this page. Razz
Back to top Go down
bittner29
Admin
bittner29

PostSubject: Re: Next Month's Book Suggestions   Next Month's Book Suggestions - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 08, 2009 12:54 pm

First of all, yes I do take advantage of the access to the internet that my current job allows. But I don't stay on it all day. I hardly ever get on and spend hours searching sites for information. Which is why I never know anything Smile When I do get on the internet, I check my bank account, credit cards, sometimes email, but always the book club (because I love it so I love you ) but that is about it.
Second of all, I already admitted to loving TV on DVD so you cant attack me for that!
And yes I do go over to Ame's to watch TV, but it's not like I'm over there all the time. I was there practically every night in October but that was just for the World Series, but now the only time I go over there is on Monday's to watch Gossip Girl. But as soon as it is over she kicks me out! I'm not allowed to watch One Tree Hill with her because I made fun of it too many times. But come on the writing for that show is ridiculous! don't tell Ame but I kind of do want to know what ends up happening to the little foster girl who ran away from Brook only to get into a car with a guy she didn't know who incidently was Brook's attacker and Q's murder
Anyway's I was just trying to say that I used to be one of those people who always had to have a TV in the bedroom and had a tv lineup for each night of the week already planned out. But now I havn't had a tv in my bedroom in 7 months and I haven't been tied to the tv guide in the same amount of time and I have to say it is refreshing.
That's all I meant by it so quit picking on me Sad

But do you see how much heated discussion that book has already started and we haven't even read it yet. Laughing That's why I pick that one over the enviromental one.
Back to top Go down
tjy49
Midnighter
Midnighter
tjy49

PostSubject: Re: Next Month's Book Suggestions   Next Month's Book Suggestions - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 08, 2009 5:00 pm

I just picked those books after quickly reading less-than-paragraph synopses in my entertainment weekly magazine. Since I loathe the environment, I don't want to read anything about it.. There are already enough people that complain about it. Happy endings are fairy tales- I don't seek them out in my books. I accept the book for what it is. If I don't like something about it I'll let you know. I understand that books are an escape from our constantly depressing world, but since a lot of writer follow the write what you know theory, the sad books will exist. And I also may have been leaning towards negative books since I was choosing at work, the funnest place in the world Smile
Back to top Go down
bittner29
Admin
bittner29

PostSubject: Re: Next Month's Book Suggestions   Next Month's Book Suggestions - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 08, 2009 11:49 am

As you should already know we have chosen Pride, Prejudice and Zombies. That is if the bookstores finally get enough copies in to satisfy the demand for this book.
We would like to go ahead and picka second book for the month. Two suggestions made by Kate are Good Omens by Terry pratchett and Neil Gaiman and the Coffee House Mysteries by Cleo Coyle.

After reading the reviews for these two books I am leaning towards Good Omens. It sounds really dark and funny. I just wasn't that impressed with the reviews for the Coffee House series.

I believe there is another book we might be looking into but I don't recall the name at the moment so I will post that one later. But for now check these out and tell us what you think.
Back to top Go down
Kate
Admin
Kate

PostSubject: Re: Next Month's Book Suggestions   Next Month's Book Suggestions - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue May 26, 2009 7:30 pm

There's a couple books that I would like to offer up for future book club ideas, two of which I already own (but haven't read), so that would be nice!

I found this review online whilst searching for images of Outlander (I know, how weird!)

Quote :
City of Bones by Cassandra Clare

I have only written 700 words in the last three days. That's normally my minimum for just one day. Last night, I went to bed well past 3 a.m. Today, my review is a good five hours late.

So, what's the deal? Did I suddenly contract a disease which promotes extreme irresponsibility?

No. It's all the fault of a book. A really, ridiculously amazing book: City of Bones by Cassandra Clare.

Cassandra Clare is one of those authors whose name I have heard thousands of times. In the Young Adult world, there is a group of writers who all live in New York City, all are friends, and all produce amazing books - Libba Bray, Holly Black, Maureen Johnson, and even John Green (though he has now moved to Indiana...so he's more of a proxy NYC writer) make up their ranks. Their individual blogs and vlogs are always referencing some hilarious thing one of them said, or some coffee shop venture where they were all present...it's enough to make a devoted YA reader green with envy. Cassandra Clare is part of this group...which should have been the first tip off that her books are amazing. Would MJ lie to us? I think not.

Still, it wasn't until a few days ago that I finally picked up her debut and the first in The Mortal Instruments series - City of Bones. Why the wait? Well...it's an urban fantasy. I know, I know that this is one of the hot new markets in YA, but my hit rate on these books have been pretty low. I adored Melissa Marr's Wicked Lovely, but even that was a little far out on the fantasy spectrum for me. Growing up as a romance reader, I'm just not familiar with all the world-building and canon that is involved there...many times they just end up seeming too plodding for my tastes. (Go ahead, throw tomatoes at me! I know!) Not so with CoB. Despite possessing more fantasy elements than most books I've read, City of Bones is the most engrossing book I've picked up in a long time. Possibly years.

It follows the story of Clary (Clarissa) Fray, a fifteen year-old New Yorker, who while at a club with her best friend, the hilarious and charming, Simon witnesses the murder of another club-goer. Or who she thinks is a club-goer. In fact, the boy is a demon and Clary, an ordinary human, shouldn't have been able to see the murder or the murderers at all. Well, the three teenagers who took the guy out are curious about Clary, to say the least. She is instantly pulled into the world of the Shadowhunters, aka demon hunters, and especially toward their sarcastic, smoldering leader, Jace. When her mother disappears and the lies about Clary's own history come to light - Why can she see them, if she's a normal girl? - she must team up with the Shadowhunters against a dark villain and the treachery all around her.

Yeah, okay, I suck at synopsizing. But here's what you really need to know:

-If you loved Buffy, you will love CoB. The dialogue is hilarious and very reminiscent of the witty vampire slaying gang.

-Love Triangle. Oh, oh, oh the love triangle. Who will Clary choose - the goofy & lovable Simon or the mysterious and sexy Jace?

-There's the best plot twist I've seen ever. I won't spoil it, but...right after this I'm running out to buy the second book at B&N. And then will probably wait on pins & needles until the last one comes out in March.

-Did I mention how hot Jace is? Do we need any more gushing? If you like your heroes with a large does of snark...this is the guy for you.

-It doesn't read like a YA book. Adults and teens alike will relish this one...Clare doesn't talk down to her readers, doesn't insult their intelligence. Her prose is vivid and her characters whip-smart.

In short - phenomenal. The reviews on Amazon are mixed, which is understandable. This is clearly in the category of a love it or hate it book, because the plot twist is one which requires your ultimate trust in the author. I have extreme faith that Ms. Clare will make it all right in the end, which is the only thing that kept me from screaming after the last few chapters. Even with that, this book is one I will read multiple times in the years to come. Loved it!

Okay...err...I'm off to Barnes & Noble now. Ciao, Originals!

I also picked up a Martin Millar book- I LOVED his books Lonely Werewolf Girl and The Good Faeries of New York. So I was excited to see his new book on the shelves: Lux The Poet.

Quote :
There is something about Lux. He’s a thief and a liar; he is selfish and self-absorbed and hopelessly vain. But while he looks like Lana Turner and romances like a true Casanova, Lux is actually more like a bumbling, oblivious Mary Tyler Moore.

Amid shouting mobs, police shields, and the hurled bricks of the ’80s Brixton riots, Lux is searching for Pearl—the love of his life. Her home has been burned down by a stray petrol bomb, and she’s searching for sanctuary along with her friend Nicky. Nicky is traumatized after having killed her computer—her best friend—and is herself being followed by Happy Science PLC. It is their plan to breed a superior next generation by implanting the sperm of genius men inside beautiful women. She knows too much about the plan. Lux is helped in his quest by Kalia, a castaway of Heaven attempting to get back in God’s good graces by performing one million good deeds over countless lifetimes. There’s also a thrash metal band, a riot-party, past lives, and KY. Lots of KY.

I'm also interested in checking out the Ninja book, although to be honest while I do think ninjas are cool, I don't know that I want to read about them. But then, I felt the same way about pirates, and I loved Capt. Hook...

So, what's some other suggestions? I picked the Hook book and Outlander, so I don't want to monopolize the selections (Okay, total lie, I DO want to monopolize all the selections, but I'm fighting the impulse.). What a Face
Back to top Go down
tjy49
Midnighter
Midnighter
tjy49

PostSubject: Re: Next Month's Book Suggestions   Next Month's Book Suggestions - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue May 26, 2009 10:27 pm

I'm more interested in Lux myself. Another one I've been considering lately is a graphic novel called Y. (Or maybe X). It's about the last man on earth and the women who want to kill him. Anywhoo, I'll read whatever now that I've GRADUATED Smile
Back to top Go down
Kate
Admin
Kate

PostSubject: Re: Next Month's Book Suggestions   Next Month's Book Suggestions - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed May 27, 2009 11:38 am

You know, Bitt and I have talked about doing another graphic novel. Lux is a really slim book, maybe we could couple it with the graphic novel?

Is this the novel you're talking about?

Unmanned (Y: The Last Man, Vol. 1) (Paperback)
by Brian K. Vaughan (Author), Pia Guerra (Illustrator)

Yorick Brown is an escape artist; has a fabulous girlfriend who's traveling in Australia; and possesses a genetic make-up that's allowed him to survive a plague that killed every male being on the planet except for him and his pet monkey. Yorick is the last man on earth, and in the resulting chaos, he must find a way to help save the human race. At least that's what the (now all-female) government thinks. Yorick would prefer to find his girlfriend, but it's hard to get a flight halfway around the world when almost all the pilots and mechanics are gone. It's hard enough to drive down the block, since the streets are jammed with the cars of men who were behind the wheel when the instantaneous plague hit. Furthermore, the entire social fabric has gone to hell, with gun-wielding wives of Republican representatives insisting on getting their husbands' seats and tribes of latter-day Amazons claiming males were meant to die. Since Yorick's mother is a congresswoman, he's protected by secret spies. And his escape skills come in handy when he's trapped first by a marauding garbage-woman and then by his mother, as she tries to keep him from doing anything stupid. Meanwhile, who are the mysterious Israeli soldiers who seem so gratified by the situation, and why is Yorick's sister so intent on joining the Amazons? With clean lines and muted colors, Guerra and Marz n invoke a frighteningly believable future; their vision of the surprise and horror to come is so beautifully ordinary, it's entirely convincing-and addictive.
Copyright 2003 Reed Business Information, Inc.
Back to top Go down
bittner29
Admin
bittner29

PostSubject: Re: Next Month's Book Suggestions   Next Month's Book Suggestions - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu May 28, 2009 12:11 am

When I was looking at books at Borders the other day I glanced at one series of graphic novels called Fables that seemed interesting. I didn't look to in depth at them so I'm not sure what you guys will think about them. Right now I am just focused on trying to get through Outlander asap before I think about books for next month. So I'll get back to you when I'm done with that one.

The only thing I know about Little Rock, Arkansas is what I saw in this documentary on HBO. It was all about the desegregation of the Little Rock Central High School back in 1957. It didn't really paint the city in the best light, but when Ame and I drove through there on our road trip a couple of years ago I wanted to stop and see the school because it has statues in front to commemorate that event. And there is a section of the Civil Rights museum in Memphis dedicated to that even as well. But that probably doesn't paint Little Rock in the best light, so sorry.

Ever since I finished Capt. Hook I've been dying to watch Hook. I didn't know that the guy who wrote Capt. Hook wrote the screenplay as well, that's awesome!

Anyway, now that things are calming down at work I promise I wont try to come up with any excuses for delaying with the book club. Sorry for my behavior these past two months. I love this book club I didn't mean to ignore it. Wont ever happen again I promise!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Next Month's Book Suggestions   Next Month's Book Suggestions - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Next Month's Book Suggestions
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next